Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning + Trump = ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016

Planning + Trump = ?

Okay guys, for better or worse we've got Trump. So now what does that mean for the planning profession? I sorta think of it like this: reduction in public sector planning, increase in private sector development jobs. But maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Means nothing to me as a rural NC planner. Most planning legislation comes from the states anyways, and Trump seems to want to start moving some federal government oversight out back to the states (education, environmental protection, etc.).

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mercdude View post
    Okay guys, for better or worse we've got Trump. So now what does that mean for the planning profession? I sorta think of it like this: reduction in public sector planning, increase in private sector development jobs. But maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?
    This also means nothing in California. AB 32/SB 375 will continue to mandate GHG/VMT reduction. The State will continue pursuit of affordable housing. Likelihood federal transportation funds will be reduced, but this is made up by many "self-help" counties via transportation sales tax that pretty much funded roads, transit, etc. anyways and the high speed rail will be killed federal funding wise, but as long as the economy continues to grow (although tepidly) planning in this State will not be effected at all.
    No Signature Required

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Do you think his tax initiatives will stimulate investment in RE development?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    He wants to freeze federal hiring (except for safety/security personnel of course) so maybe don't plan on going after a planning job with a federal agency... unless you want to do NEPA work, since he's planning on increasing spending for the military and "rebuilding" military bases.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Planning + Trump = Plump Trannie

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Wannaplan? View post
    Planning + Trump = Plump Trannie
    Post of the day!

I'm going with some cuts to the feds which will effect state programs. Things like money for roads might be a problem, but it depends on how he approaches it.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Every state goes its own way. CDBG/HOME either continues to stagnate as it has for 10+ years or is eliminated. TIGER grants are threatened.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I expect to see much more money pumped into the highway trust fund (although it's anyone's guess where it will come from) with a different set of priorities for projects. I would not be surprised if this is coupled with a desire to reduce the overall funding that goes into transit projects in order to free up more money for highway building.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I think that some infrastructure programs will get funded however some other programs (like CDBG) might take a hit.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    If he was smart, he'd pump money into EDA, Rural Development, and SBA - as well as massive infrastructure projects -

He will likely ditch HUD as cities didn't vote for him and he's all about payback, so technically he should fund rural development since they voted for him

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'm thinking CDBG for infrastructure will still be funded but HOME will take a hit. I don't see this administration helping a few homeowners but infrastructure needs are probably safe. Maybe more private partnerships to find the roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Trump RTDNTOTO thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 17 Aug 2016, 9:37 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 29 Aug 2009, 11:55 PM
  3. Trump fined for code violation
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Apr 2007, 6:35 AM