Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Masters in Transportation Planning -- advice?

Registered
    Nov 2016

Masters in Transportation Planning -- advice?

Hi all,

I'm working on applications to grad school in urban planning for Fall 2017. My interest is in transportation planning, and I am also considering taking classes in engineering or pursuing a dual degree (although my background is not strong for engineering -- I graduated from a small liberal arts school with a degree in environmental studies). My particular interests are in bike/ped planning, transit planning and/or TDM; I've been working in bicycle advocacy for the past two and a half years and want to ultimately work in the public or private sector reducing SOV use in urban environments. I've looked at old threads on this forum about the best transportation planning schools, but they are starting to be a bit dated so I'm not sure if the information is still accurate. Doing my own research, it's hard to tell how strong or well-regarded a school's transportation program is from its website and course catalog.

Schools I am considering include:
    UC Berkeley
    MIT
    Portland State
    UNC Chapel Hill
    Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    UCLA
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    U of Minnesota
    UT-Austin

I'd really prefer to apply to no more than five. Any thoughts to help me narrow down the schools would be appreciated. Thank you!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Did you double post? I could have sworn I responded to this already in one of the student threads...

I would switch out UIUC for UIC - if you want to do transportation planning, an urban school might be a better fit. And I've heard anecdotally (being from the Chicago area) that they do more transportation planning workshops. Would also suggest considering Michigan and Penn, depending on financial aid availability and offer. I've heard Rutgers is really good for Transportation Planning, but it's much more on the policy side. Otherwise great list, just narrow down - those are way too many schools to be applying to, haha. GTech and PSU are right on the mark given your interest in the more technical engineering/design/bike-ped-transit side of things.

Other thing I would consider is where do you want to live afterwards, and what type of program you want (big program? small program? general program? technical program?)

Good luck!

Registered
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally posted by akshali2000 View post
    Did you double post? I could have sworn I responded to this already in one of the student threads...

I would switch out UIUC for UIC - if you want to do transportation planning, an urban school might be a better fit. And I've heard anecdotally (being from the Chicago area) that they do more transportation planning workshops. Would also suggest considering Michigan and Penn, depending on financial aid availability and offer. I've heard Rutgers is really good for Transportation Planning, but it's much more on the policy side. Otherwise great list, just narrow down - those are way too many schools to be applying to, haha. GTech and PSU are right on the mark given your interest in the more technical engineering/design/bike-ped-transit side of things.

Other thing I would consider is where do you want to live afterwards, and what type of program you want (big program? small program? general program? technical program?)

Good luck!
    Yes, I realized I should have posted in the student thread so I posted there. Thank you again for your insights!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Oct 2013, 7:57 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Apr 2009, 9:28 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 10 Feb 2006, 6:05 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 02 Mar 2005, 10:22 PM
  5. Replies: 27
    Last post: 06 Apr 2004, 11:18 PM