Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Waiving fees and churches

Registered
    Dec 2001

Waiving fees and churches

Does anyone have any experience with a council waiving all fees for a church, either as a policy or as requested by individual churches? Slippery slope and all that but we've been asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    No, and I don't think that's a reasonable policy. The only fees we waive are for county projects. I would think if you waived them for churches, you'd need to waive them for all non-profits? Just because they're a church doesn't mean that you don't incur costs to review and approve their plans or requests. I don't see how their religious affiliation changes that in any way.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We just ran into this with a Unitarian church (of all things.) They had a lawyer write to us that our third party review and inspection fees were taxes and they are exempt. The real problem there is that their consultant is one of the ones that we always have issues with. The third party consultant ended up being willing to waive half their fees in the interest of world peace.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Yes our town routinely waives planning and building fees for all non-profits that ask.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Only fees we waive are for handicapped ramps and inspection fees for foster care homes. The rest pay just like everyone else. We don't even waive County or Town building fees.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Our state board of accounts would have a conniption if we waived any fees. No, no, no.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Jan 2009
    No waiving fees on religious grounds unless your willing to waive it for every religion and possibly all the non profits. We waive taxes for any non profit that asks and fills out the right paperwork. It gets churches out of the tax rolls along with fraternal orders and the hospital (non profit my ass).

We do waive fees for buildings destroyed by some disaster like tornadoes (did one last month) and fires. Bulldozers are not considered a disaster and yes I know tornadoes sometimes do a lot of improvement to the area.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Waiving fees and churches

Thanks for the replies. We have a lot of non profits and churches, waiving all fees concern me. Especially that this isn't just a church, it's a church with a daycare and all the other community programs. Much more intense than a church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Drive through churches?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Jan 2007, 10:44 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Oct 2006, 6:12 AM
  3. Churches and Design
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 15 Dec 2004, 7:40 PM