Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: Soon-to-be Urban Planning student from NJ

Registered
    Oct 2016

Soon-to-be Urban Planning student from NJ

Hello,

I'm new to message boards, but happy I found this community to discuss my future intended career path in urban planning. After graduating from Rutgers in 2015 with a degree in Journalism and Media Studies and Political Science, I chose to serve as an AmeriCorps member with City Year (wearing every hat from tutor and mentor to guidance counselor, talent show host and painter.) While serving at a school in North Philadelphia, I became fascinated with the physical realities of the inner-city that my students dealt with every day. Around that time I read the book "Kids from the Bronx" and in one essay Bronx Borough City Planner Sam Goodman shed light on many things related to planning that I had not previously come across.

Since then, I decided to serve a second term as an AmeriCorps VISTA Leader, supervising VISTAs at 18 cross-sector anti-poverty collaboratives in New Jersey. I am currently in the process of applying for grad school with an eye on programs in the Northeast (but I'll go anywhere) and those with scholarship partnerships with City Year and AmeriCorps. Rutgers, NYU, UPenn, Michigan and Arizona State have caught my eye. FWIT, I scored 159 on the verbal section of the GRE and 155 on the quantitative reasoning and I am awaiting my full score report.

Hope this was a good introduction. Didn't really have any intended purpose but I am more than willing to hear any insight or advice. I look forward to learning some things on this board.

Best,
    Justin

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Howdy, from Central !
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from an ExPat Jersey Boy in the Hoosier State.

Registered
    May 2006
    Welcome from a NYC area expat in Montreal!

I started my MUP at Hunter College in Manhattan (currently in the process of transferring to l'Université de Montréal after my Quebec residency comes through). Hunter has a very community planning based program and great faculty who specialize in Community Development. I would highly recommend you check it out!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Welcome from an expat Yooper living in the Research Triangle.

(Bonus points if you know where those are without google...)
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Hello from the middle, Kansas. Stick around, post a little.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 30 Nov 2011, 11:44 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Oct 2011, 12:02 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Jun 2010, 3:48 PM
  4. Future Urban Planning Student
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 May 2010, 9:56 PM