Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The Honest Thread: Christmas Edition

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Christmas can be stressful because I always have end of the year deadlines at work and this year it is worse because I have grant reporting deadlines with the state, which includes getting the projects completed, all while moving my office -

my husband and his Mom are into the perfect Christmas - making cookies, perfect tree and all that and it's very stressful - I am more of let's get done what we can

I deal by doing New Year's cards as I love cards so that's my thing and by doing them after Christmas, it doesn't add to the stress

we also don't present shop until my husband gets his bonus check (we are a cash only household since 1996) which is usually a couple days before Christmas - but I make a day of it and get it done in one full swoop

so I guess after 30 years, I have learned to work around the home stress to enjoy what I can - I just hope I can get my work done so I can take time off at the end of the month to go see my Mom with kiddies in tow as I miss my family at Christmas as we always spend it with my husband's family but again I mix it up with our friends to make me feel better and less lonesome (how's that for a run on thought?)
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Seriously, we're getting the boss a card tree. Now I have to go buy the boss something. Stop sucking up people! I'm so glad everyone in our office agreed we aren't doing gifts outside of cookies that we happen to make.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    All we are doing for our Exec. Dir. and super nice floor housekeeper is chipping in on gift cards.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    First Christmas in this place. We evidently do a White Christmas exchange at the department party. So I have that to look forward to.

I wish I'd known that before I crocheted several items to be gifts for departmental people this year.

I still don't like large inflatables in yards. Also, this year we have a neighbor that has music playing when his lights are on. Not loud, not fancy, but still annoying when you're outside with the dog.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Itty Bitty is really into Christmas this year!! It is infectious! But I feel badly because I am so tied up with school. It is a real challenge balancing happy family fun time with finals, etc. But we are doing our best.

She really enjoyed getting the Christmas tree. She enjoyed chasing my mom around with the saw, yelling, "SAW HAND is going to get you!!" (I have Hubby to thank for that.)

She has a Frozen Advent Calendar this year and every morning she jumps out of bed and yells the # day and can't wait to race downstairs. It has been really cute!

Possible puppy adoption tomorrow!! Squeeeee!!! Hubby wants to name it Baugi.
    Baugi is ridiculously adorable. I would almost SQUEEEE! if I were physically capable.

My wee one is 3 now and she is now finally old enough to mostly realize that it's Christmastime and she'll be getting presents, etc. She really loves the tree, my wife and her mom are Christmas crazy so MIL came over and they built a gingerbread house together. MIL also does a "25 Days of Xmas" thing where she has a bag of small gifts and Ellie gets to open one each day. I hate it because it means literally 25 new "things" that we don't need of course or to get lost, etc., but of course the wee one loves it. We do listen to plenty of Christmas songs in the car and go out to see the lights. So far it's been good and I definitely love seeing how much my little one enjoys it at this age.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    (we are a cash only household since 1996) )
    thats punk

Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    thats punk
    It's a great idea. I'm largely that way myself. When I put something on the credit card, it gets paid in full when I get the bill.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    My sibs and I are doing a secret santa swap and I bought a present that 3 of the 6 people would think is kicka@@ (it was an awesome price and I was buying presents for my kids at the same time and succumbed to a lack of willpower at the moment). But I have a feeling I'll get one of the other 3 names...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Baugi is ridiculously adorable. I would almost SQUEEEE! if I were physically capable.
    Thanks! He is definitely squee-worthy! He is such a sweet puppy!

Glad to hear that your little one is getting into the spirit of the season! It is fun to experience it through their eyes!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    First Christmas in this place. We evidently do a White Christmas exchange at the department party. So I have that to look forward to.

I wish I'd known that before I crocheted several items to be gifts for departmental people this year.

I still don't like large inflatables in yards. Also, this year we have a neighbor that has music playing when his lights are on. Not loud, not fancy, but still annoying when you're outside with the dog.
    In helping our office assistant find a white Christmas gift for some family thing we all decided a lawn gnome would be a good gift.

Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post

My wee one is 3 now and she is now finally old enough to mostly realize that it's Christmastime and she'll be getting presents, etc. She really loves the tree, my wife and her mom are Christmas crazy so MIL came over and they built a gingerbread house together. MIL also does a "25 Days of Xmas" thing where she has a bag of small gifts and Ellie gets to open one each day. I hate it because it means literally 25 new "things" that we don't need of course or to get lost, etc., but of course the wee one loves it. We do listen to plenty of Christmas songs in the car and go out to see the lights. So far it's been good and I definitely love seeing how much my little one enjoys it at this age.
    This is what advent calendars are for. They make some with small useless toys that just get lost or thrown away in a couple days, but we go with the chocolate kind. Kids get up each morning to a new tasty chocolate! and there is no mess for us.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My oldest has been invited to go caroling with her friend and their family (a bunch of elementary-age cousins) this weekend.

A) I didn't know people actually caroled in real life.
    B) The family she is going with is Jewish so I'm really interested in what are they going to sing...
    C) ...but I'm not interested enough to accompany them and am going to use that time to go for an evening run instead.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Other than accepting cash gifts, I have largely opted out of Christmas for years.

Now that I am getting a life, I wonder if I will have to wrestle with Christmas stress stuff some time in the future.

It doesn't appear to be an issue this year, but as I make social contacts locally, will that change in future years?

Weird to think about there being a downside to getting a life.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Decided to do something completely different this year.

Spent four days, and checked off just about everything on the short list I'd made. (There are some activities that shut down or close inconveniently.)

Meanwhile, my idiot brother is divorcing the best woman he will ever find (after 34 years together). Older sis is feeding intel to younger sis, who is blaming me for ...everything.

"That's right, I've been a pain in your existence my whole life.
    Because EVERYTHING in your life is all about YOU & NOTHING & NOBODY ELSE MATTERS!!!!!"

Almost wish she was an alcoholic; that I could figure out. She has Oppositional Defiant Disorder and anything I send or try or attempt gets thrown back at me.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    ^ Very cool Veloise! (The trip to France, not the family drama of course)

I never really enjoy White Elephant (aka Yankee Swap) gift exchanges, but nobody knows how to ruin one like my FIL's family. They make so many rules and stipulations and just draaaaaaaaagggggg it out for an hour+ that they suck what little fun there is in it right out. I've decided next year I'm going to put in an envelope of cash and let people fight over that. Better yet, I'm going to write a check so people can see my name on it and know who ruined the game.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2016 Christmas Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 02 Dec 2016, 7:50 AM
  2. The 2012 Christmas Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club