Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread
Page 170 of 204 FirstFirst ... 160 169 170 171 180 ... LastLast
Results 4,226 to 4,250 of 5096

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 12 (2017)

Registered
    Jul 1998

It's a small world after all

So, I shared that I purchased a motorcycle last week. This particular model of motorcycle has a huge popular following with clubs, rallies and its own forum much like this one. So last evening I check my email and none other than our own EL Guapo had emailed me telling me that he too had purchased said model of bike and had joined the forum finding me.
    ďAs soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fallĒ
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    So, I shared that I purchased a motorcycle last week. This particular model of motorcycle has a huge popular following with clubs, rallies and its own forum much like this one. So last evening I check my email and none other than our own EL Guapo had emailed me telling me that he too had purchased said model of bike and had joined the forum finding me.
    Would you say that El Guapo has a plethora of motorcycles?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Would you say that El Guapo has a plethora of motorcycles?
    A Mallrats reference on the previous page and now a Three Amigos reference? This day is turning out pretty great!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Serious answer: 37 yo woman w/a 28 yo guy sounds like it could be a really fun date, but statistically speaking I would expect to find a significant difference in the level of maturity.
    Serious response is that there's just been a really long string of hilariously awkward interactions between us. But we have gone from him not knowing my name to trying to walk out as soon as church was over without making any eye contact to him now looking for me after church is over to chat for a few minutes. Next step... Facebook friends!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    Thatís cool.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I was out running early Sunday morning with my headphones in when I heard a short series of massive explosions in quick succession

I ducked and started to roll off of the road into the bushes.
    lol - Was anyone around to witness your evasive maneuvers?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Me: This will be a hard sell to the neighborhood; you need to present a solid business plan, mitigate potential traffic impacts and show how your bed and breakfast inn will actually help stabilize the
    neighborhood.
    Applicant: Can I move the hearing up to the December 27th meeting so I can get approved while the neighborhood isn't paying attention?
    Me: That's not how it works.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    Me: This will be a hard sell to the neighborhood; you need to present a solid business plan, mitigate potential traffic impacts and show how your bed and breakfast inn will actually help stabilize the
    neighborhood.
    Applicant: Can I move the hearing up to the December 27th meeting so I can get approved while the neighborhood isn't paying attention?
    Me: That's not how it works.
    At least they tried.

You (while saying your last line):

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I was out running early Sunday morning with my headphones in when I heard a short series of massive explosions in quick succession

I ducked and started to roll off of the road into the bushes.

I seriously thought somebody was launching an artillery barrage.
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    lol - Was anyone around to witness your evasive maneuvers?
    I watched a co-worker duck and roll behind our work vehicle when a acorn/walnut fell and hit a metal roof nearby while we were conducting a investigation of a code violation in an area known for hostilities. I didn't duck but I did almost roll on the ground laughing.

Me: "The special use permit requires full cutoff lighting, you can't have that upward pointing floodlight."
    Engineer: "how do you know that the upward pointing flood light isn't full cutoff?".
    Me: "do you know what full cutoff means in relation to lighting?"
    Engineer: "yes, but how do you know? It might be, you don't know that it isn't. Did you look up the specs?"
    Me: "No, I didn't... is there going to be light above the bulb/fixture?"
    Engineer: "I guess I'll need to remove that from the plans."

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    I watched a co-worker duck and roll behind our work vehicle when a acorn/walnut fell and hit a metal roof nearby while we were conducting a investigation of a code violation in an area known for hostilities. I didn't duck but I did almost roll on the ground laughing.
    Heh heh. A few years ago we were in New Orleans East with my parents, sister, BIL, and nephew. We stopped at a podunk shopping plaza with some less desirable looking people but nobody threatening. There were some kids playing with the bang snap poppers. When my BIL (from Boston) heard the poppers he yelled, "Gunshots!!!" And grabbed my nephew and went and hid in the van. The rest of us were just standing around looking confused.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Sooo.... I just got to call the sheriff's department to remove some men that were causing some problems. How are y'all's days going?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I want a boat... but not just a boat. I want to build a classic wood barrel-back runabout
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Currently:

Silver = $15.78/troy oz.

Gold = $1,250.63/troy oz.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    A couple weeks ago my daughter and I were driving somewhere and a buckeye fell out of a tree and hit the top of my Jeep. A Wrangler has absolutely no insulation or sound deadening along roof or sides so it was loud and sounded like a gunshot. My daughter screamed and after I quickly realized what it was, I laughed.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I want a boat... but not just a boat. I want to build a classic wood barrel-back runabout
    I would love to have an old wooden Chris-Craft.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jun 2011
    It's the 76th anniversary of Pearl Harbor and I've seen almost no mention of it. Kind of disgraceful....

Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    Sooo.... I just got to call the sheriff's department to remove some men that were causing some problems. How are y'all's days going?
    Not nearly as interesting as your own, from the sounds of it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    It's the 76th anniversary of Pearl Harbor and I've seen almost no mention of it. Kind of disgraceful....
    Flags in front of the Civic Center are at half mast.

It made the frontpage of my fair city's newspaper because
    Decades later, sailor killed at Pearl Harbor will be buried near father

George James Wilcox was 19 on Dec. 7, 1941 when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.
    He perished with more than 400 others when a torpedo sank his ship – the USS Oklahoma.
    The Navy at the time had no way of identifying his remains, so Wilcox was buried in a mass grave with nearly 400 others.
    The bodies remained undisturbed until 2003 when the Department of Defense exhumed a single casket in an effort to identify several servicemen based on historical evidence.

The casket contained the remains of nearly 100 men.
    So, in 2013, the DOD announced plans to exhume the remaining 60 caskets.
    “We spent the first year just doing inventory,” Duus said.
    So far, the DOD has identified the remains of 100 of the 388 bodies, by comparing their DNA to living family members.
    Once identified, the bodies are returned to their hometowns for reburial, with full military honors.
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cou...14467&f=portal

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Only 4 working days left in the year

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Currently:

Silver = $15.78/troy oz.

Gold = $1,250.63/troy oz.
    1 BTC (bitcoin) = $15 ,691.24 US Dollars I still have no idea what a bitcoin even is.

So we are gearing up to begin construction on our new high school here. I took the initiative and secured a zoning permit early as well as getting full sized plans of the kitchen to our Environmental Health staff on 6/15 of this year (as always, I have an email record of this). Come to find out, that Environmental Health NEVER FREAKING LOOKED AT THEM. Surprise, they need to go to the state for review. I gave those plans to them 6 freaking months ago to make sure there was nothing additional needed so we wouldn't run into a roadblock when construction was set to begin...and yet here we are. Pretty sure I'm going to forward my CM the confirmation email of the plans being dropped off in our office so the EH guys can't wiggle out of this one. .

Also, Wham!'s "Last Christmas" is basically the worst Christmas song ever.
    Last edited by AG74683; 08 Dec 2017 at 10:14 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Checking in from the Left Coast. Have I missed anything?
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Checking in from the Left Coast. Have I missed anything?
    It snowed in southern Texas...
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Earlier, I looked at a webcam on the campus of a college in the NC mountains to see it snowing. It's a video stream and when it loaded; I witnessed a person getting tackled by another person. It made me reminisce about my college days and how the first snow of the year was always a fun time.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Cabinets are all stained. Just need to flip the doors over to get the other side. My department will finally have nice things.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Ugh, I just heard Taylor Swift's version of "Last Christmas". Now Christmas is RUINED.

I just scaled down a plat from the RoD website by moving a selection of the map to a Word document and holding a ruler on the screen. It worked.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    They're doing work on our roof right now. My secretary said that this is what it would sound like if you were inside the dryer with a boot while it was running. That's pretty much all I can think about now.

Closed thread
Page 170 of 204 FirstFirst ... 160 169 170 171 180 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5562
    Last post: 01 Jan 2011, 12:01 AM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141