Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread
Page 3 of 204 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 12 (2017)

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I'm on the phone with one of the Commissioners. We were in the middle of a conversation and it sounded like he got interrupted by somebody. I think he's forgotten that we were in the middle of a conversation and now the phone may be in his pocket or something, but it's still on. Like I can hear some various snippets of muffled conversation, but that's it. I've said hello like 4 times...I just hung up on him...I didn't know what else to do.
    There was a reserve police officer here that pocket dialed the non-emergency police number. He said some not so nice things about his superiors and unfortunately it was on a line that was recorded. He was dismissed.

This year is already shaping up to be a busy year. I like that.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I would have never hung that phone up. I'd have just put it on speaker and hoped that I heard some nugget of pure gold that I could use to my advantage later. But maybe that's just me.
    No, it's not just you.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    First Board meeting of the year tonight! And first time since I was told to generically "be more professional" with no actual suggestions for what that means. I'm wearing a black jacket, nice tan dress pants, and nice black slide-on shoes that are not heels. I will not smile or be friendly. If I am still professional enough after today, I will be asking the County Administrator to tell me exactly what I should wear and what exactly it is that he wants me to say...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    First Board meeting of the year tonight! And first time since I was told to generically "be more professional" with no actual suggestions for what that means. I'm wearing a black jacket, nice tan dress pants, and nice black slide-on shoes that are not heels. I will not smile or be friendly. If I am still professional enough after today, I will be asking the County Administrator to tell me exactly what I should wear and what exactly it is that he wants me to say...
    My first impulse would be to assume 'being professional' probably relates more to behavior than clothing. Then again, maybe not. Bottom line - that was poor communication on your supervisor's part.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    My first impulse would be to assume 'being professional' probably relates more to behavior than clothing. Then again, maybe not. Bottom line - that was poor communication on your supervisor's part.
    It didn't come from him - it came from the County Administrator through him. When I asked for clarification, he didn't give me anything specific. I've been doing things the same way for 8 years without any feedback, so it's more than a little frustrating. I'm just kind of laid back in general, but I do try to be pretty professional when I'm making the presentations. Honestly, I think it's more of a perception issue than anything. But we'll see how it goes tonight!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I would have never hung that phone up. I'd have just put it on speaker and hoped that I heard some nugget of pure gold that I could use to my advantage later. But maybe that's just me.
    Sadly I would have to hang up. The most I would hear is how this place used to be a gas station and that place was a grocery store or how he saw every road in the county and did some other stuff to pat himself on the back.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    It didn't come from him - it came from the County Administrator through him. When I asked for clarification, he didn't give me anything specific. I've been doing things the same way for 8 years without any feedback, so it's more than a little frustrating. I'm just kind of laid back in general, but I do try to be pretty professional when I'm making the presentations. Honestly, I think it's more of a perception issue than anything. But we'll see how it goes tonight!
    time for a meeting of all parties in one room with HR, if you have HR

that kind of comment is troublesome without explanation or prior comments in reviews and the like

that sucks

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post

that kind of comment is troublesome without explanation or prior comments in reviews and the like

that sucks
    I agree. Even more so when someone makes a blanket statement like that without providing details. Was Steve Jobs professional, in his world sure. If he were on wall street, hell no. It is all a matter of opinion and unfortunately, even the absolute safest route may still be offensive to someone.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Aug 2004

that sucks
    The Den Mother knows all. Follow her advice.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013

that sucks
    Good idea! Unfortunately, our HR person left and instead of getting a new one, our HE and Public information offices were combined under the Public Information director. I'm not 100% comfortable with her for some really good reasons that I won't go into. So I'm just hoping it'll blow over.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I just got a text on my personal cell phone asking "who number is this". I am trying to decided how to respond. I am certain I won't respond with my name.

Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    I just got a text on my personal cell phone asking "who number is this". I am trying to decided how to respond. I am certain I won't respond with my name.
    I'd be tempted to respond with a smart@ss reply.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I'd be tempted to respond with a smart@ss reply.
    as in "the body is where you said to put it, you dissin me now, bud?!"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    "I am you. You are me. We are we."

And maybe throw in a pot leaf emoji.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    "I am you. You are me. We are we."

And maybe throw in a pot leaf emoji.
    And I feel the first thread split of the year coming up.

The package as been delivered. You know where to wire the money.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    In case it was somebody that mattered I went mild with "I'm Batman" and followed it with a picture I found of a guy dressed as Batman taking a selfie. I didn't get a response. That was a bit of a let down. I liked all of the suggestions. I was going to go with "For the 19th time, I am not the good time that the bathroom wall promised."

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    My sister is getting on my case because she hasn't received school pictures of the kids yet. I wonder of formal school pictures being mailed out to family will become a distant memory being that we have social media filled with pictures of kids. Also for guys, do you have the photo pages in your wallet to show coworkers and friends pictures of your family, or do you call them up on your phone?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    My sister is getting on my case because she hasn't received school pictures of the kids yet. I wonder of formal school pictures being mailed out to family will become a distant memory being that we have social media filled with pictures of kids. Also for guys, do you have the photo pages in your wallet to show coworkers and friends pictures of your family, or do you call them up on your phone?
    No photo pages for me, although I've always taken those out of my wallets and thrown them away. As for showing coworkers and friends pictures of my family on my phone - I cannot recall ever doing that.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    My brother got my parents a Nixplay digital picture frame for Christmas. It's a cloud based frame, you make a Nixplay account and can upload any number of pictures to it. It also supports Facebook, Instagram, and Dropbox accounts. He has the login info for the Nixplay account and can upload pictures when he gets them, and they'll display on my parents frame. At some point I'm going to make a family Dropbox so anyone in our extended family can upload pictures at will. It seems like a good idea. I suppose you could scan in hard copies of photos. Most scanners are pretty solid now.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Today is cold. Toes and fingers recognized it as winter. What is winter?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I went out to my car, already running late and blowing my resolution to be on time and my car was encased in ice so I said friggit and walked to work, got halfway here and realized I forgot my laptop so turned around and went home and got it and then walked back here

I was going to go with "For the 19th time, I am not the good time that the bathroom wall promised."
    That is a classic and very funny.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Looks like we'll be getting a state of the art shooting range in our fair county. And the newspaper misquoted me... but at least they spelled my name right!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Guess I'll have an actual case coming up. My poor commission is bewildered by the in depth report I gave them about the project. They've never handled an actual zoning case so it's all new to them and they don't seem to get the idea that any extra traffic to a gravel road is a bad thing.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I've just found out about presenter mode in powerpoint....

Closed thread
Page 3 of 204 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5562
    Last post: 01 Jan 2011, 12:01 AM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141