Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread
Page 4 of 204 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 5096

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own 12 (2017)

  1. #76
    Cyburbian Big Owl's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    near the edge
    Posts
    1,986
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    My brother got my parents a Nixplay digital picture frame for Christmas. It's a cloud based frame, you make a Nixplay account and can upload any number of pictures to it. It also supports Facebook, Instagram, and Dropbox accounts. He has the login info for the Nixplay account and can upload pictures when he gets them, and they'll display on my parents frame. At some point I'm going to make a family Dropbox so anyone in our extended family can upload pictures at will. It seems like a good idea. I suppose you could scan in hard copies of photos. Most scanners are pretty solid now.
    I got my parents an kodak frame a couple of years ago. They liked it. It had an email address attached to the account that you could send photos to. My mom enjoyed it and then it stopped connecting to the internet. I just update the SD card from time to time.

    I discovered Google's Photoscan app. It's a easy way to use your phone to scan in pictures. It works pretty good. I use it to post old pictures on the book of faces from time to time. The quality is good enough for electronic sharing but I wouldn't expect to get high quality prints from it. It removes glare and auto crops the pictures.

  2. #77
    Cyburbian MD Planner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2002
    Location
    On the corner of Walk and Don't Walk
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    Looks like we'll be getting a state of the art shooting range in our fair county. And the newspaper misquoted me... but at least they spelled my name right!
    Is that the one that Liberty wants to build?
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

  3. #78
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    Is that the one that Liberty wants to build?
    Yes! It's apparently bigger news than I realized. Haha.

  4. #79
    Mod Gedunker's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Wonderland Way
    Posts
    10,063
    Got up this morning to make sure my daughter gets out to school okay and felt a cool breeze in the hallway. It felt slightly cold in the new house, so I went to check the thermostat and it was blank except for super teeny tiny writing in the lower corner*. I tried to raise and lower the temp with no result. Turned it off and on to no avail. Pulled it from the wall and it appears the two AAA batteries were shot. Replaced them and delicately replaced the cover (there are a series a fragile looking tongs that need to align with equally fragile looking receptors). Sure enough, back in business.

    That's the thing about new houses - you always get that, oh, crap!, sense when something unexpected (and possibly $$$) happens. Happy that wasn't the case here.

    *Seems it read
    lo
    batt
    Not valid without corporate seal

  5. #80
    Cyburbian MD Planner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2002
    Location
    On the corner of Walk and Don't Walk
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Got up this morning to make sure my daughter gets out to school okay and felt a cool breeze in the hallway. It felt slightly cold in the new house, so I went to check the thermostat and it was blank except for super teeny tiny writing in the lower corner*. I tried to raise and lower the temp with no result. Turned it off and on to no avail. Pulled it from the wall and it appears the two AAA batteries were shot. Replaced them and delicately replaced the cover (there are a series a fragile looking tongs that need to align with equally fragile looking receptors). Sure enough, back in business.

    That's the thing about new houses - you always get that, oh, crap!, sense when something unexpected (and possibly $$$) happens. Happy that wasn't the case here.

    *Seems it read
    lo
    batt
    That's a real pain isn't it? I always thought the thermostat should be hardwired with low voltage just like a doorbell. Would save you on those cold mornings. What if you'd been out of town and it got really cold? All of a sudden you've got busted pipes becasue of some AA batteries.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

  6. #81
    Cyburbian AG74683's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Woods
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    That's a real pain isn't it? I always thought the thermostat should be hardwired with low voltage just like a doorbell. Would save you on those cold mornings. What if you'd been out of town and it got really cold? All of a sudden you've got busted pipes becasue of some AA batteries.
    A new house honestly should have a hardwired thermostat. My house is nearly 52 years old and has a hardwired thermostat. In NC, all new houses are required to have programmable thermostats per the NC Energy Code.

  7. #82
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Posts
    18,296
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    A new house honestly should have a hardwired thermostat. My house is nearly 52 years old and has a hardwired thermostat. In NC, all new houses are required to have programmable thermostats per the NC Energy Code.
    Almost all thermostats are still hardwired to the HVAC and the batteries only control the features and switches inside the thermostat itself. There are a few of them that will communicate with your HVAC unit using a WIFI or Bluetooth type of wireless connection, but those are few and far between. Your thermostat is likely a mechanical thermostat that either uses a glass tube with mercury or similar measured spring feature to trigger when to kick the HVAC on or off whereas programmable thermostats uses an electric switch.

    However I agree that there should a hardwired requirement for electric thermostats. It does not even need to be battery backup because if the power goes out, you're not getting power anyways.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

  8. #83
    Cyburbian AG74683's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Woods
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Your thermostat is likely a mechanical thermostat that either uses a glass tube with mercury or similar measured spring feature to trigger when to kick the HVAC on or off whereas programmable thermostats uses an electric switch.
    I have a Wi-Fi one now. Something Honeywell. I replaced the one that was in the house when I moved it, but it too was a programmable one. It was a AA battery powered one though.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 04 Jan 2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

  9. #84
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Posts
    18,296
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I have a Wi-Fi one now. Something Honeywell. I replaced the one that was in the house when I moved it, but it too was a programmable one. It was a AA battery powered one though.
    Is it a WIFI connection to the HVAC or to your phone? For example, the Nest thermostat still has a hardwired connection to the HVAC control unit but required batteries.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

  10. #85
    Cyburbian AG74683's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Woods
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Is it a WIFI connection to the HVAC or to your phone? For example, the Nest thermostat still has a hardwired connection to the HVAC control unit but required batteries.
    Hardwired. It has no batteries.

    Some solar farm company just sent in the property owner to start the permitting process for an 8 acre solar facility. Are you kidding me? This guy was told that he needed to rezone the property. Clearly this group hasn't looked at our requirements one bit.

  11. #86
    Cyburbian Big Owl's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    near the edge
    Posts
    1,986
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Got up this morning to make sure my daughter gets out to school okay and felt a cool breeze in the hallway. It felt slightly cold in the new house, so I went to check the thermostat and it was blank except for super teeny tiny writing in the lower corner*. I tried to raise and lower the temp with no result. Turned it off and on to no avail. Pulled it from the wall and it appears the two AAA batteries were shot. Replaced them and delicately replaced the cover (there are a series a fragile looking tongs that need to align with equally fragile looking receptors). Sure enough, back in business.

    That's the thing about new houses - you always get that, oh, crap!, sense when something unexpected (and possibly $$$) happens. Happy that wasn't the case here.

    *Seems it read
    lo
    batt
    I had the same issue with the thermostat that the previous owner installed it was a programmable thermostat. I caught mine in the summer with the battery going dead and the thermostat not working. I corrected it by changing out the thermostat wire so that i had enough wires to have a common wire to provide power to the thermostat.

  12. #87
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    10,351
    we are so so random today talkin thermostats beeeyyyootch

  13. #88
    Cyburbian MD Planner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2002
    Location
    On the corner of Walk and Don't Walk
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    we are so so random today talkin thermostats beeeyyyootch
    Please. Just don't. It doesn't become your standing on this board. I don't even know who you are anymore.


    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

  14. #89
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    curiosity
    Posts
    23,320
    avoiding a thread split ?

  15. #90
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    10,351
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    Please. Just don't. It doesn't become your standing on this board. I don't even know who you are anymore.


    I cannot stop laughing right now at this post - post of the day - my office mates now know I am not working right this minute omg

    I have no idea why I posted it - might be the Black Silk Folgers coffee I had this morning, or that I am on Season 6 of binge watching 30 Rock, or, I'm losing it a bit - likely all 3

    but I am laughing at my own jokes which is a constant problem

  16. #91
    Cyburbian terraplnr's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knee deep in the hoopla
    Posts
    1,824
    Rolling office chairs make good building plan carriers (according to what I just saw out my window).

  17. #92
    Cyburbian dvdneal's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Remote command post at local bar
    Posts
    11,954
    I've got jury duty tomorrow. So does one of my inspectors. Poor guy, he can't cut out early if the boss is there.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

  18. #93
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    23,685
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I have no idea why I posted it - might be the Black Silk Folgers coffee I had this morning,....
    It was coffee talking. I have to remember that one.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  19. #94
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    8,471
    I went to Starbucks at lunch to sit and read and behind me in line were a group of military recruiters. There were a couple sailors and a couple soldiers as well as a Marine and an airman, all in various uniforms. After I paid for my drink I loudly told the barista that I'd be paying for the Marine's drink. It's nice when you can combine doing a good dead along with some friendly trolling.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

  20. #95
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    23,685
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I went to Starbucks at lunch to sit and read and behind me in line were a group of military recruiters. There were a couple sailors and a couple soldiers as well as a Marine and an airman, all in various uniforms. After I paid for my drink I loudly told the barista that I'd be paying for the Marine's drink. It's nice when you can combine doing a good dead along with some friendly trolling.
    I guess the coffee made you do it.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  21. #96
    Cyburbian dvdneal's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Remote command post at local bar
    Posts
    11,954
    I have some junk in my trunk.

    Mostly just jumper cables and an empty grocery bag.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

  22. #97
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    1,391
    Because one guy is mad that his neighbor complained about his sign, he went through the entire county and complained about every other non-compliant sign he could find. Those people got mad and complained to the Board. Now we have to review the sign ordinance that we just completely overhauled to figure out how not to make people mad. According to one of our Board members, this is a clear case of government overreach having unintended consequences.

    I'm seeing a complete sign free-for-all coming soon.

  23. #98
    Cyburbian AG74683's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Woods
    Posts
    4,321
    I got an email from someone with Redbox yesterday afternoon. It is a forward of some business license from Bethlehem, Georgia. All the email says is "FYI". I tried to email the Redbox person back, but it says the message is undeliverable.

    The county I work for has a pretty common name, I think we might be the second or third on the list of common county names. I looked up X County Georgia to try and send their planner the business license. Bethlehem isn't even in that county, it's somewhere completely different. Oh well, at least I tried.

    Just found out our county clerk will need a kidney transplant. She's 25. That's just crazy to me.
    Last edited by AG74683; 04 Jan 2017 at 2:17 PM.

  24. #99
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Posts
    18,296
    Why are NBA players such pathetic wimps? I mean they get hit on the ankle with a shoelace they flop around the court like they where hit in the head with a 2x4 whereas a hockey player will catch a puck in the face, spit out a few teeth and keep playing.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

  25. #100
    Cyburbian terraplnr's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knee deep in the hoopla
    Posts
    1,824
    Today is dragging...... It's been the slowest morning ever. It's not even noon yet. My mom is coming into town this evening for a week-long visit so I just want this day to be over.

Closed thread
Page 4 of 204 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 5562
    Last post: 01 Jan 2011, 12:01 AM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141
    Last post: 03 Jan 2007, 5:27 PM