Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Honest Thread: Hot Topics for Planners in 2017

Registered
    Aug 2001

The Honest Thread: Hot Topics for Planners in 2017

You know the drill. There are apparently some new trends out there that we overlooked and we now have to scramble to update our zoning ordinance. I am sure signs are on your hot list because of the Gilbert Supreme Court decision.

Maybe you are still working on food carts. Or maybe community gardens, farmers markets, complete streets, and low impact development.

For me, from my vantage point, it's always training for Planning Commission members. They can never get enough. The concepts can be tricky, I need ways for them to be sticky.

What about you? What do anticipate dealing with in 2017?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I fear what Ryan Zinke might do when it comes to Historic Preservation (along with his environmental policies....)

Locally, it is balancing growth with preservation. I am happy I am not the Transportation Planner because that is going to become a bigger issue because we are growing so fast.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Micro cell antennas/towers in public ROW and said cell companies being "public utilities".

Specifically, mine is going to be a new Comp Plan that is not the old data dump and goals/objectives heavy old school plan style. I want a more action oriented character based plan that is 'short' and useful.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Probably a comprehensive amendment to our zoning ordinance. I was holding off on that until the state legislature stopped dragging their feet and decided what they wanted to do with the major land use realignment bill but I'm tired of waiting now.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Micro cell antennas/towers in public ROW and said cell companies being "public utilities".
    Yep. Nobody knows how to deal with it. It's a really big deal in our historic district and I'd imagine could be in some other parts of the City as well.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    Yep. Nobody knows how to deal with it. It's a really big deal in our historic district and I'd imagine could be in some other parts of the City as well.
    Yep big emerging issue here too.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Kansas is ahead of the game for once! We've already handled the micro cell and cell tower location thing. Basically we're declaring a free for all for the cell industry. Thank you to the legislature for doing all the heavy thinking for me and not letting local cities or counties screw up by making their own decisions.

I've got the sign code thing.

I'm going to have to teach my elected people about development in general. Get everyone on the same page that we allow it when ___ and otherwise we deny it. Once I get everyone on the same page I need to update the code to match it or maybe update the comp plan to match the new philosophy. We'll see.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Marijuana, short term rentals, sea level rise... all the typical stuff.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    We don't have to worry about banning plastic grocery bags, so there's that.

New Comprehensive Plan should go on line in early February. I'm quite pleased with it and as mendelman commented, mine is very action oriented.

Our 1970s-era Zoning Ordinance is going on the trash heap of local history. Probably going to a form-based hybrid, but we'll see.

Signs (vs message boards), cell towers, green infrastructure both public and private, better bike infrastructure, dragging the utilities into the 21st century, EPA mandates. All good Agenda 21 stuff, don'tchaknow.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Wannaplan? View post
    You know the drill. There are apparently some new trends out there that we overlooked and we now have to scramble to update our zoning ordinance. I am sure signs are on your hot list because of the Gilbert Supreme Court decision.

Maybe you are still working on food carts. Or maybe community gardens, farmers markets, complete streets, and low impact development.

For me, from my vantage point, it's always training for Planning Commission members. They can never get enough. The concepts can be tricky, I need ways for them to be sticky.

What about you? What do anticipate dealing with in 2017?
    Did you hack into my email?!

All of the above (except food carts, we did that a few years back). Add medical marijuana.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In-house Comprehensive Plan update is underway and should be completed by late second quarter, early third quarter of this year.

Overhaul of our Subdivision Ordinance should be completed early second quarter.

Our Board adopted a Medical Marijuana moratorium last month. Amendments to the LDRs are expected in the late second quarter to implement a Constitutional Amendment that legalized MM.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Our Board adopted a Medical Marijuana moratorium last month. Amendments to the LDRs are expected in the late second quarter to implement a Constitutional Amendment that legalized MM.
    I hope that moratorium gets overturned :p

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

Hot Topics for Transportation Planning 2017

For transportation planning, the hot topic of 2017 is uncertainty regarding transportation funding given the new administration:
    - Will federal transportation funding levels, overall, stay the same, increase or decrease? Will the campaign talk of "infrastructure" translate into anything concrete for transportation?
    - Will the mix of funding change in terms of modes of transportation. For example Trump has pledged to follow the Federal budget plan of the Heritage Foundation who recommend to phase out the FTA over 5 years. How will this effects specific transit projects, e.g. BART expansion in the Bay Area, subway expansion in Los Angeles, or High Speed Rail?
    - Will Trump's pledge to halt Federal funding to "Sanctuary Cities" have detrimental affects on transportation projects in/around those cities?
    - I also heard most recently that Trump's proposals regarding the ACA could indirectly affect transportation funding at the state level. Particularly, if congress goes forward with a plan that results in millions of people losing insurance, Medi-Cal may pick up the slack. I'm hearing rumors that the CA legislature is going to stall on any new transportation funding bills until it is clarified how/if this will affect the budget picture as a whole.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    I hope that moratorium gets overturned :p
    Our Medical Cannabis Dispensary ordinance amendment is scheduled for the planning commission next month. It's ahead of schedule.
    Habitual Offender

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What is the alt website/twitter for planners ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2015
    Medical Marijuana, sea level rise, signs, LDR rewrite, complete streets, P3s...

It's gonna be a busy year.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Signs. It's always signs. Or rather, one certain retailer.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Anybody get sued yet because of the Gilbert Supreme Court decision from 2015?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by flbeachgirl View post
    Medical Marijuana, sea level rise, signs, LDR rewrite, complete streets, P3s...

It's gonna be a busy year.
    Yes, all of these. And affordable housing, and the future of federal funding.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Honest Thread: Christmas Edition
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 63
    Last post: 03 Jan 2018, 9:02 AM
  2. Replies: 5095
    Last post: 01 Jan 2018, 12:02 AM
  3. Replies: 112
    Last post: 09 Nov 2017, 4:26 PM
  4. Calendars for 2017
    Friday Afternoon Club