Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Every state's grossest food (that people actually love)

Cyburbian Plus
    Jun 2003

Every state's grossest food (that people actually love)

Do you agree with your fair state entry ?

I have posted about Indiana 's several time before.

Feb 2004
    on my 15 minute break
    I love Michigan's entry..."some shit your neighbor killed"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

For the record, I've never had the grossest food listed in the 3 states I've lived in. I've had head cheese, just not in a sandwich. I've also had scrapple.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Mar 2005
    Missing up north from the low country
    I had to check the list for NY's garbage plate at Nick Tahou's. Glad to see it's there since it's seriously the grossest food ever. For those who've never been, the article's description doesn't quite get the grossness across adequately -- it's macaroni salad and baked beans with burgers and hot dogs on top, eggs in there somewhere, then they actually drizzle extra grease over everything. Sure I've eaten it but would I eat it again?? (At 3am after a night out... yeah probably!)

As for Georgia's ham hocks, I've never had them but I now feel like I probably should -- just to say I've done it. Hmmm.

As for the rest, I've eaten a total of eight including Michigan's crap your neighbor killed and Virginia's Brunswick stew (which truly came from coastal Georgia). And by the way -- raw milk -- not gross at all. Ok, if you think too much about it, it's gross. But it's also exponentially better than the pasteurized kind.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Jun 2011
    The Woods
    I've had NC's livermush. I love it. Fry it up in a little bacon grease, good stuff.

In addition to my home state, I've had Cincinnati 5 way from Skyline once before. I really enjoyed it. Those are the only two I've tried on the list. I wouldn't have a problem with scrapple, it's pretty similar to livermush.

Feb 2005
    Knee deep in the hoopla
    Hahaha Goop... I actually made a buckwheat pancake recipe once from one of Gwennth Paltrow's cookbooks and it was horrible! Completely indedible.

Jan 2009
    Remote command post at local bar
    I've had Arizona's mesquite pods...meh, and Kansas with the bierrocks. They just love them things around here.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Looking back over the list. I've had ambrosia and it's really not that bad. I've had 5-way Cincinnati chile, but it didn't have hot dogs in it. I've also had Skyline and Gold Star versions of it. I've probably had nutra-rat and didn't know it. Sometimes it's better not to know what's in home made gumbo. Kentucky's grossest food had to be burgoo. As for jello salad, anybody who grew up in the Midwest had jello salad sometime in the life.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Mar 2004
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Blog entries

New bucket list item:
    I want to see two female Cyburbians challenge each other to a Geoduck eating contest next time APA meets in Washington State. Now that would be funny.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Jun 2009
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Looking at that list, some of my favorite foods are on there. Ambrosia Salad? That's been a family staple of mine for as long as I can remember (even though none of us are from Alabama and we call it "Hawaiian Salad". Same with Jell-o Salad. Carne Adovada is awesome, too. My wife and her family are from Iowa and they love them some loose meat sandwiches, and I love 'em, too.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Aug 2005
    Above urban19's plane field
    Ham hocks are gross? Um, okay...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

May 2006
    If Quebec was on here - Poutine. That s**t's GROSS!! One thing about Canada I will never adopt to.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 20 Feb 2013, 3:39 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:34 AM
  3. People per urban food market
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 May 2011, 2:02 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Nov 2005, 10:43 AM