Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: PhD Help?

Registered
    Feb 2017

PhD Help?

I have an undergraduate degree in CE, and now I am in grad school getting my masters in planning. I am considering a PhD now. But I am at a crossroads: PhD in CE or in planning? For sure, the type of research I want to do is more on the planning side, but I would really love to be a part of a CE department. The pay is better, I guess, but I really just feel compelled to teach CE students about planning principals. It's absolutely astounding how little CE students know about urban systems as a whole when they get out of school--believe me! Would a CE dept ever hire someone with a planning PhD? It definitely goes the other way, I know. I've seen CEs, LAs, geographers, and whoever else in planning departments.

Any advice is coveted!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    I think Georgia Tech's CEE department has planners! But by planners, it usually means people who are engineers first, but started to get interested in larger systemic stuff on the side, not planners by background necessarily.

Side note: Have you seen this? https://www.pdx.edu/ibpi/integrating...tation-courses

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    If you want to work in a CE department, I would think the best solution would be to get a PhD in CE with a minor concentration in planning. I believe most PhD programs require a certain number of credits in a minor field of study anyway. I might just be making that up based on what one of the PhD students I knew in grad school told me, though.

I would think the intersection between CE and planning, and maybe the lack of cross-sectional training, would be a great dissertation topic, though!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Based only on what you say, I would say get the CE PhD. And kudos for your goal, engineering is a great tool if the engineers have the right goals!

Registered
    May 2006
    I ditto gtpeach. Planning is more interdisciplinary than Civil Engineering is. If you want to teach Engineers, a PhD in CE is a must!

I have allot of CE friends, and find the field very interesting. I however, cannot do complex math :p

+ Reply to thread