Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How old were you when you got your first planning job?

Registered
    May 2013
    23 as a planning technician

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Old enough.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2004
    First planning job at 22. My title was planning director in title only. It was a one man shop with a heavy dose of code enforcement. That was 19 years and 9 months ago. Time flies.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    First planning job at 22. My title was planning director in title only. It was a one man shop with a heavy dose of code enforcement. That was 19 years and 9 months ago. Time flies.
    I should probably clarify, this is exactly the same for me, although my code enforcement load is complaint only so it's not really the majority of my job. Most of mine is daily permits and handling literally every question that comes in this office about everything.

I was 24 when I got my first planning gig, 33 when I got my first planning director job. I've been in the profession nearly 29 years now.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2017
    22 as a planning technician.

Registered
    Apr 2017
    At 33 years old I got my very first Urban Planning job (career). This was nearly 10 years after graduating with a master's from an accredited program! Most of my time before that I had clerical records management and Remote Sensing mapping jobs before that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    ^ brother (sister?), I feel your pain. Planning is not an easy profession to break into. It takes years to just get enough experience to become 'qualified' for an entry level job (if you can find one). Things are slowly improving, but until we have a building boom that can fuel the career of an entire generation of planners, it's slim pickings. I find it especially ironic that many of us got interested in planning because of the building boom; which meant, we missed the boat by the time we were 'trained' and ready for employment.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Contract work while tooling around and not finishing my graduate degree: 33.

Full time, benefits, real-deal: 35, six months after the ink was dry on the diploma.

Registered
    Aug 2016
    26, as a Land Use Planner.
    Prior to that, worked 3 years for a General Contractor in the Estimating Dept.
    Although at the time working for the GC I had wished I held a planning position, learning to read construction drawings, methods, and learning the lingo of architects/engineers/developers has been highly helpful.
    I say if you can't find a planning job, find one in an allied field which will provide you with skills employers seek. By the time I finished, I could read construction drawings like a book, 5th-grade reading level.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jul 2007, 5:41 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Feb 2006, 12:54 PM