Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NCAA College Football Thread - Rankings Be Damned

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

2017 NCAA College Football Thread - Rankings Be Damned

Get ready to order your face paint and tailgating supplies for 2017 College Football.

You only have 7 months to get ready!!! Based on last year's finish, there'll be a couple sleepers that show up and some big disappointments. That's why they play the game, right? However...

For some reason, tosu now sits on top of the FPI (Preseason Football Power Index) rankings from ESPN website. Really the only thing that changed are the new recruits they brought in and who announced for the NFL draft. So why the big changes? It don't matter, it's all BS right now.
    1. Ohio State
    2. Alabama
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Florida State
    5. Auburn
    6. Louisiana State
    7. Clemson
    8. Penn State
    9. Washington
    10. Wisconsin

As a reminder, here are ESPN Preseason Rankings right after the Clemson National Championship (& where they finished up in 2016):
    1. Alabama (2)
    2. Florida State (8)
    3. Southern Cal (3)
    4. Penn State (7)
    5. Clemson (1)
    6. Ohio State (6)
    7. Oklahoma State (11)
    8. Washington (4)
    9. Wisconsin (9)
    10. Oklahoma (5)

The bigger, better view of NCAA Football for 2017 are the nonconference schedules.
    What's even better than that are the 2 season kickoff games on September 2nd - Florida v. Michigan & Florida State v. Alabama. If that don't get you excited, I'm not sure what will.

mods please close the 2016 thread
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Not sure... but OSU sucks.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    [B][SIZE=5]
    1. Ohio State
    2. Alabama
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Florida State
    5. Auburn
    6. Louisiana State
    7. Clemson
    8. Penn State
    9. Washington
    10. Wisconsin
    Auburn in the top 5 - that's just bizarre...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Auburn in the top 5 - that's just bizarre...
    I know. They didn't even - screw the preseason rankings. Unfortunately they seem to be a starting point for in-season rankings which is just stupid.

I will say that my graduate school is ranked #129 (out of 130) which is probably closer to right than wrong.

BTW - I forgot to link the ESPN story in the FPI in the initial post:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/p...season-fpi-1-0
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Looks like Harbaugh has a good system for making sure he gets the players he wants. He just hires one of their parents.

I'm sure Saban, Meyer and the rest of the big boys do very similar things too.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Looks like Harbaugh has a good system for making sure he gets the players he wants. He just hires one of their parents.

I'm sure Saban, Meyer and the rest of the big boys do very similar things too.
    Harbaugh is on the front end of all the shady recruiting tactics. It will be interesting to see when the NCAA shuts down another one of this ideas....

With that said I guarantee everyone does this...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Harbaugh is on the front end of all the shady recruiting tactics. It will be interesting to see when the NCAA shuts down another one of this ideas....

With that said I guarantee everyone does this...
    Well, there's only so many coaching jobs to go around so not sure everyone does it. And you better be a damn good coach anyway. Demands and expectations are too high to waste a coaching spot on someone who isn't getting the job done. You do hear about parents getting set up with a job somewhere in the town where the school is or a sibling getting scholarship money to attend the same school.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Western Michigan is sunk. They no longer Row The Boat.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/sta...90560885596161

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Well it's getting to be that time of year. A couple of days ago a friend of mine said there were close to 20 days before college football kicks off. How times flies...

USAToday/Amway preseason poll is posted and here it is:
    http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa...s-poll/2017/1/

I can't blame you if you don't click on the link because here is the crux of the article:
    1. Alabama (why? why not and besides its evidently tradition to do this every year)
    2. Ohio State (why? why not and besides its evidently tradition to do this every year)
    3. Florida State (because some Florida-based team has to be in the top 5)
    4. Southern Cal (Kiffin is no longer there)
    5. Clemson (WTF! They won it last year)
    6. Penn State (Sandusky hangover is all but gone)
    7. Washington (results from last year show up in the poll)
    8. Oklahoma (did you really think they would be higher?)
    9. Michigan (I bet Harbaugh was pissed after seeing this)
    10. Wisconsin (always sticking around somewhere)
    11. Oklahoma State (keep trying with Boone)
    12. Louisiana State (it typical position, but 'interim' is no longer)
    13. Auburn (still doesn't make any sense)
    14. Stanford (bring the band with you)
    15. Georgia (nope)
    16. Florida (just put them here to start and they'll climb the ladder)
    17. Louisville (this is a basketball school)
    18. Miami (look who's coming back into the light)
    19. Kansas State (well they couldn't really rank the Jayhawks could they)
    20. West Virginia (By-God! ???)
    21. South Florida (it's a miracle)
    22. Virginia Tech (not that's hokie)
    23. Texas (are they back or just hoping for some early noise?)
    24. Tennessee (here's another traditional ranking just so they'll fall away)
    25. Utah (I got nothing...maybe ursus can help)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    15. Georgia (nope)

With Spurrier out to pasture, Duke no longer receives its one preseason vote.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2003

2. Ohio State (why? why not and besides its evidently tradition to do this every year)
    O. S. Who? There is zero chance they will finish in the top 4.

9. Michigan (I bet Harbaugh was pissed after seeing this)
    Ehhhh... I was more optimistic last year than I am this year. I personally don't think they are a top 10 team, but I pray they prove me wrong.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    How come Notre Dame isn't in the preseason top 20? After all, they're such a great football school historically
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I was at the gym this morning and the Big10 Network was on one of the TVs but there was no sound so I couldn't really tell what was going on but it was something about PJ Fleck and the Minnesota football team. It looks like he's using his same "Row the Boat" shtick that he used at Western Michigan. One trick pony?

I thought it was pretty lame when he was here in the Great Lake State and I wonder how it will play with a bigger audience...
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Western Michigan is sunk. They no longer Row The Boat.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/sta...90560885596161
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I was at the gym this morning and the Big10 Network was on one of the TVs but there was no sound so I couldn't really tell what was going on but it was something about PJ Fleck and the Minnesota football team. It looks like he's using his same "Row the Boat" shtick that he used at Western Michigan. One trick pony?

I thought it was pretty lame when he was here in the Great Lake State and I wonder how it will play with a bigger audience...
    It is lame.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    How come Notre Dame isn't in the preseason top 20? After all, they're such a great football school historically
    It's the end of the world as we know and I feel fine. Looks like College Football U has slipped.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    It is lame.
    Didn't he steal it some somewhere else?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Planit fully endorses this:

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Florida has suspended troubled receiver Antonio Callaway and six other players for the team's season opener against Michigan.

Defensive end Keivonnis Davis, defensive lineman Richerd Desir-Jones, linebacker James Houston, linebacker Ventrell Miller, defensive lineman Jordan Smith and offensive tackle Kadeem Telfort also won't play Sept. 2 against the ninth-ranked Wolverines in Arlington, Texas.

The players were suspended for misusing school-issued funds, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Registered
    May 2002
    That's too bad for the Gators but obviously the right thing to do.

I think Michigan was going to beat Florida anyway. It's true Michigan lost of ton of starters but they've got talent. They'll be fine and I expect they'll win 9-10 games.

The "Row the Boat " thing is touchy because it came about when Fleck's child died. That said I think it was cheesy to trademark it or whatever they did. It will be interesting to see how he does. Don't forget he's inheriting a team that was pretty decent last year. In my opinion the hire in the BIG people will be talking about in a few years is Jeff Brohm at Purdue. He's a very good coach. IF they give him the resources he needs I think he can have some success there.

The BIG East is going to be fun. OSU is OSU so they'll be right there. How will Barrett do with Kevn Wilson as his coordinator? I'm not certain J.T. is going to improve his passing that much but the system may be better for him. And he's always going to make plays with his legs. PSU is getting pretty deep and now they believe in themselves. Barkley running behind an even better offensive line could be scary for a lot of teams. And if they load the box McSorely has that "it" factor to make other plays. I really think the success of their season will depend on how the young defensive ends develop. Lack of a pass rush is what killed them in the Rose Bowl. They were in the top 5 in the country in sacks last year but when it counted they couldn't get to the QB. Don't sleep on Maryland either. They won't contend for the division but they could rise up and bite somebody along the way.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Well, at least the Hoosiers didn't embarrass themselves last night against tOSU and they may actually be somewhat watchable this year. Still, I think a little more gritty IU team might have been able to take advantage of a somewhat shaky tOSU. Oh,well.

College football is back. All is right with the world.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Well, at least the Hoosiers didn't embarrass themselves last night against tOSU and they may actually be somewhat watchable this year. Still, I think a little more gritty IU team might have been able to take advantage of a somewhat shaky tOSU. Oh,well.

College football is back. All is right with the world.
    Football at IU has always been killing time until basketball season. As long as they beat Purdue and didn't get completely embarrassed at any given game, the fans were ok. One coach got the boot because the margins in blowouts were just too big. Their problem is they can't compete for top level recruits. Why go to IU when you'll get more wins and be able to show your talent at another school.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2002
    That OSU/IU game was never in doubt. The Hoosiers couldn't run at all and had no pass rush. That's a receipe for disaster. First games are always tricky like that. The underdog is usually pretty fired up out of the gate because they've been thinking about that game since the end of last season, especially when you know you're playing a heavyweight like OSU. The Buckyes on the other hand just view it as another game. And as the game goes on talent and depth will eventually win out. You can only ride emotion so far in a football game. You gotta have the skills to make it count for 60 minutes.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    The Buckeyes have won 20 straight in the series and are 51-2-2 (.945) since 1952.
    Ohio State has won 8 consecutive games in Bloomington and is 25-2-1 all-time against Indiana in Memorial Stadium.
    The two losses in Bloomington were in 1988 and 1904.
    Ohio State has outscored the Hoosiers 2,282-933 (26-11).
    The Buckeyes are 14-0 when they are ranked and Indiana is not ranked and the game is played in Bloomington.
    1990 was the last time Ohio State did not defeat Indiana (27-27).
    1993 was the last time both teams were ranked when they played. Ohio State won 23-17 in Columbus.
    Since 1906 Ohio State is 71-8-4 (.880) against Indiana. That is less than one loss every 13 years.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    The Buckeyes have won 20 straight in the series and are 51-2-2 (.945) since 1952.
    Ohio State has won 8 consecutive games in Bloomington and is 25-2-1 all-time against Indiana in Memorial Stadium.
    The two losses in Bloomington were in 1988 and 1904.
    Ohio State has outscored the Hoosiers 2,282-933 (26-11).
    The Buckeyes are 14-0 when they are ranked and Indiana is not ranked and the game is played in Bloomington.
    1990 was the last time Ohio State did not defeat Indiana (27-27).
    1993 was the last time both teams were ranked when they played. Ohio State won 23-17 in Columbus.
    Since 1906 Ohio State is 71-8-4 (.880) against Indiana. That is less than one loss every 13 years.
    This looks more like a post from hinky...Where is hinky?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    This looks more like a post from hinky...Where is hinky?
    OSU sucks.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Where does your team fall on the 2017 WSJ College Football Grid of Shame?

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2017...worst-programs

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 269
    Last post: 12 Jan 2016, 6:24 PM
  2. Replies: 247
    Last post: 13 Jan 2015, 4:44 PM
  3. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 3:15 PM