Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NCAA College Football Thread - Rankings Be Damned

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    Mike Riley is dead man walking in Lincoln. The bigger question is does anybody want that job anymore? It's not the good old days in the cornbelt...
    I haven't been following Nebraska much since they've been surprisingly irrelevant since they joined the Big 10. You'd think with a school with their history, they'd be able to recruit better. I'd love to see them become a powerhouse again just because it will make the expansion of the Big 10 look a little better since I don't anticipate Rutgers or Maryland becoming contenders anytime soon.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    This. Is. So. Bad.

http://floridagators.com/news/2017/1...e-uniform.aspx

Why do you have to screw up this bad. There was no need for this. Just call it blatant marketing and be done. Damnit Nike! UGH!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2002
    Wow. Who greenlighted those things? Horrible.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    So a 31 point underdog upset a highly ranked team...

Iowa State pulled off a nice upset over Oklahoma and they dropped 9 slots.

I approve of this message. Google Joel Lanning and remember the name. Football player.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    No Top25 teams are playing each other this weekend.

There are still some interesting games taking place and the possibility exists for some upsets (it seems particularly this year).

Which game scares you the most?
    As for me I don't think the Gators will beat TA&M - even with the help those godawful uniforms.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Which game scares you the most?
    NC State @ Pitt. This is just the type of game they can (and usually will) lose. It will tank their entire season and stink up the match-up vs. Clemson at the end of the season.

Registered
    Mar 2005

It was an UPSETting weekend

Fall is in the air and in the polls.

The upsets that happened:
    #2 Clemson (drops to #7) - #5 Washington (drops to #12) - #8 Washington State (drops to #15) - #10 Auburn (drops to #21) - #14 San Diego State (drops out) - #24 Texas Tech (drops out) - #25 Navy (drops out)

There were also a few close calls and the rankings have been reshuffled.
    #1 Bama
    #2 PSU
    #3 UGa
    #4 TCU
    #5 Wisc
    #6 tOSU
    #7 Clemson
    #8 Miami
    #9 Oklahoma
    #10 Okie State

...and across the pond in 'proper' football, Watford upset Arsenal and Crystal Palace (who hadn't won or scored a goal all season) beat Chelsea.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We've been getting our Michigan season tickets through my wife's dad who has been a season ticket holder for 50+ years. He goes to most every home game (and quite a few away games) and my wife goes to about 3 or 4 games a season (and I am happy with 1 or 0 games...) but it appears this will be his last year buying the tickets. His main complaints are that the he and his wife have a 2.5 hour drive to the games, they don't like going to night games (or even 4:00 games) which are getting too frequent, they often aren't told what time the game will be until just a few days beforehand (I hate this as well), and they are getting too old for the crowds.

My wife is having a meltdown.

I keep telling her she can take over his tickets and I would be okay with spending the money but she doesn't want to do that. I think she's just looking for an excuse to complain. I'm still trying to convince her to take them over though since they are seats in the fancy club section and if we let them go, we will never be able to get them again. There are three more home games this season (Minnesota, Rutgers, and Ohio State) and my wife is going to all of them with her dad. I'm hoping she'll breakdown and buy the tickets.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2002
    You should defintely buy the tickets. You can always sell them and make money off of them. And you've got tickets to the big games if you want them. TV controls everything and that's why you get so many game times being announced late. That's so they can maximize viewership depending on who is having what kind of season. I'll be at the PSU/Michigan game Saturday and I won't get home til probably around 3 am. It definitely makes for a really long day. PSU did a study and the majority of the season ticket holders live more than two hours away. Of course, what do you expect when the school is in the middle of the state in the middle of nowhere.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    You should defintely buy the tickets. You can always sell them and make money off of them. And you've got tickets to the big games if you want them. TV controls everything and that's why you get so many game times being announced late. That's so they can maximize viewership depending on who is having what kind of season. I'll be at the PSU/Michigan game Saturday and I won't get home til probably around 3 am. It definitely makes for a really long day. PSU did a study and the majority of the season ticket holders live more than two hours away. Of course, what do you expect when the school is in the middle of the state in the middle of nowhere.
    The problem with selling some of our tickets is that to get into the "Club" section where our seats are there is a required "Preferred Seat Donation" of about $5k a year which makes it really difficult to come anywhere close to even breaking even on the seats, especially since the University is very good about stopping sales above face value on online venues. Talking to some friends with seats in the same section, it sounds like you need seasons like this one to come close to recouping a good percentage of the initial cost - with both MSU and OSU at home you are likely to know somebody who you can personally sell to for a premium since there are so many of their fans in the area. If we still played ND every year that would help out too.

I have a friend with club seats like ours but he also has 4 seats in the endzone that he's worked his way into over the 20 years or so since he graduated. Because there is no PSD charge on those seats, he has no problem making money on them and uses them to mostly cover the cost of his 2 club seats.

All that said, every person I've mentioned it to has said it would be crazy to let the seats go so I'm hoping my wife will get on board. In the end, I honestly do not care all that much for myself since I don't really enjoy physically going to the games (it's borderline blasphemous to say, but If I have to go to a game I'd rather go to Spartan Stadium because the stadium is so much less crowded that the experience is that much more enjoyable... it's just that I'd have to watch the Spartans ) but I know my wife would be sad. I'm tempted to just jump in and buy them in her name but I think she would kill me if I spent that much money without clearing it with her first.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I really hope that Penn State's only loss is next week... and that they get so angry about it that they destroy the next team that they play by 10 or so TD's.

(I am not optimistic that it will happen that way, but hey, it is cheaper than buying a lottery ticket)
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    I approve of this message. Google Joel Lanning and remember the name. Football player.
    Joel Lanning named CBS mid-season all american. Dude has played six games at linebacker since 8th grade.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Well for ranked teams who play each other this weekend they are 2 potentially good ones:

#19 Michigan @ #2 Penn State
    #11 Southern Cal @ #13 Notre Dame

There some other interesting matchups like Arkon v. Toledo and let's see if giant killers Syracuse will upset #8 Miami.

Registered
    May 2002
    Ahhh. That was satisfying after last year's beatdown. Another huge test next week.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Ahhh. That was satisfying after last year's beatdown. Another huge test next week.
    I had pretty low expectation but that was worse that I expected.

I'll be silently cheering for PSU next week.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    K-State almost pulled out a win. Until they dropped something like an 11 point lead.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I had pretty low expectation but that was worse that I expected.

I'll be silently cheering for PSU next week.
    Yeah, like most people I was thinking PSU would win (whiteout, limited UM offense) but that was a pretty thorough domination. In over 35 years of actually understanding and following football I've never seen a PSU team with so much team speed across the board. That team can run. They made Michigan look slow at times.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Yeah, like most people I was thinking PSU would win (whiteout, limited UM offense) but that was a pretty thorough domination. In over 35 years of actually understanding and following football I've never seen a PSU team with so much team speed across the board. That team can run. They made Michigan look slow at times.
    They made Michigan look really bad at times. PSU has a great team this year and Michigan does not. I said it before the season starts, Michigan is not a top 10 team. They showed it against MSU and PSU.

I really hope that PSU destroys osu next week. I know that Michigan has no chance at the conference or the playoffs, but it would be awesome to see osu get put in their place. Michigan is not likely to beat the nuts at the end of the season, but I would still like to see osu get at least 2 losses.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2005

#19 Michigan @ #2 Penn State
    #11 Southern Cal @ #13 Notre Dame

Well these 2 marquee games were not...except as blowouts.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    They made Michigan look really bad at times. PSU has a great team this year and Michigan does not. I said it before the season starts, Michigan is not a top 10 team. They showed it against MSU and PSU.

I really hope that PSU destroys osu next week. I know that Michigan has no chance at the conference or the playoffs, but it would be awesome to see osu get put in their place. Michigan is not likely to beat the nuts at the end of the season, but I would still like to see osu get at least 2 losses.
    I think PSU could win, they are really good this year. Barkley is amazing. I doubt they make Ohio State look as awful as Michigan though. Michigan looked like they were not only physically outmatched, but completely outmatched in effort. Penn State just wanted it more.

I feel pretty good about the Ohio State - Michigan game this year. I hope Harbaugh sticks around for a while. He gets paid a whole lot to suck. Like Hoke. And Carr. And.... haha. Alright I'll quit.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I think PSU could win, they are really good this year. Barkley is amazing. I doubt they make Ohio State look as awful as Michigan though. Michigan looked like they were not only physically outmatched, but completely outmatched in effort. Penn State just wanted it more.

I feel pretty good about the Ohio State - Michigan game this year. I hope Harbaugh sticks around for a while. He gets paid a whole lot to suck. Like Hoke. And Carr. And.... haha. Alright I'll quit.
    If Michigan loses to both OSU and MSU next year, not even Harbaugh would be safe a pink slip.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    If Michigan loses to both OSU and MSU next year, not even Harbaugh would be safe a pink slip.
    I was being facetious. Harbaugh is the only thing Michigan football has going for it. He is unique, a great recruiter, and has made a Michigan football team that was a laugh track for the last 5-10 years, MUCH better in year one.

He will get there. He is good for the Big10. I just like making fun of Michigan, since it seems we have so many simpletons Michigan lovers around here.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2002
    Harbaugh was legitimately humbled the other night. He had no answers in his post-game press conference. I expected to see the feisty Harbaugh and there was none of that. It's the first time he's really been handed his hat while at UM. That being said, expectations were probably too high this season anyway. Anyone who watches knows that they lost a ton of starters and other experienced players. Last year was really the year to get it done and it didn't happen. I've seen people comparing his first 34 games versus Brady Hoke. Yeah the record is the same but Harbaugh has much better wins. I do think he's going to have to change his approach offensively. At least at times. The college game is changing and if you don't have a mobile QB and skill players that are capable of making explosive plays you're going to struggle at times.

I'm really looking forward to the game this weekend at the Horseshoe. PSU is good and have been tested a little bit (at Iowa at night is always tough, even though they dominated the game statistically they easily could have lost) and OSU has played nobody outside of Oklahoma but they've obviously improved and they're coming off a bye week. This will be the week we find out what they both have (and what the BIG has) because I think whichever one plays in the BIG championship game is going to expose Wisconsin. And no, I don't think MSU can hold a candle to either PSU or OSU. They don't match up well with either team.

Hink, what do you think of the OSU "alternate uniforms"?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Harbaugh was legitimately humbled the other night. He had no answers in his post-game press conference. I expected to see the feisty Harbaugh and there was none of that. It's the first time he's really been handed his hat while at UM. That being said, expectations were probably too high this season anyway. Anyone who watches knows that they lost a ton of starters and other experienced players. Last year was really the year to get it done and it didn't happen. I've seen people comparing his first 34 games versus Brady Hoke. Yeah the record is the same but Harbaugh has much better wins. I do think he's going to have to change his approach offensively. At least at times. The college game is changing and if you don't have a mobile QB and skill players that are capable of making explosive plays you're going to struggle at times.

I'm really looking forward to the game this weekend at the Horseshoe. PSU is good and have been tested a little bit (at Iowa at night is always tough, even though they dominated the game statistically they easily could have lost) and OSU has played nobody outside of Oklahoma but they've obviously improved and they're coming off a bye week. This will be the week we find out what they both have (and what the BIG has) because I think whichever one plays in the BIG championship game is going to expose Wisconsin. And no, I don't think MSU can hold a candle to either PSU or OSU. They don't match up well with either team.

Hink, what do you think of the OSU "alternate uniforms"?
    I am a scrooge when it comes to alternate uniforms. I always hate them. In the end, who cares?

My take on the game - PSU wins if Barkley rushes for 100 yards. If the OSU offensive line plays big and stops the run, McSorley isn't going to beat them (even though OSU has a horrible secondary). It also depends on which JT Barrett shows up. The guy who couldn't hit a barn against Oklahoma, or the ninja who knifed defenses for 400 yards and sat down for the second half.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    It also depends on which JT Barrett shows up. The guy who couldn't hit a barn against Oklahoma, or the ninja who knifed defenses for 400 yards and sat down for the second half.

That really depends on if tosu is playing a ranked team or a cupcake team...

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 269
    Last post: 12 Jan 2016, 7:24 PM
  2. Replies: 247
    Last post: 13 Jan 2015, 5:44 PM
  3. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 4:15 PM
  4. 2010 College Football Thread