Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NCAA College Football Thread - Rankings Be Damned

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I'm not as mad that OSU didn't get in as I am that Alabama got in. They didn't deserve it (although I did pick them over OSU based on a guess the committee would wimp out).

What the committee said was:

- Have a weak schedule
    - Don't play extra games or especially a conference championship game

It is nothing like last year where OSU was ranked #2 going into the conference championship week. They didn't rise above anyone, they just had others rise above them. Alabama, by way of others losing in the championship game, moved up.

I think if I was an Auburn or Wisconsin fan I would be irate. Wisconsin deserved it more than Alabama, honestly. They at least made the championship game, and due to them losing it they didn't get the chance. If Wisconsin or Auburn wouldn't have played they would have been in, theoretically.

I don't think last year Ohio State should have been in, and they were. I think this year Alabama clearly shouldn't have been in, but they are. Not sure there was a clear #4, but I think the committee really just said, "We pick whoever we want, for whatever reason". Name recognition means more than schedule, conference championship, etc. Ohio State got the bump last year, and Alabama did this year.

Eight team playoff, here we come...
    Kind of the same opinion in my office. 'Bama didn't deserve it. Not that anyone here gives a rats anything about tOSU.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2002
    What's interesting (at least to me) is what is different between last year and this year. Last year you had quite the argument between Penn State, Washington and even OSU. They were all really good teams. This year it was the top 3 and then it's almost like "okay who else can we fill this bracket out with?" Alabama who was completely untested and lost their only meaningful game or OSU who got smoked twice? No way Auburn should be steamed about anything. They're a 3 loss team. And they had it in front of them, all they had to do was win and instead they got rolled. They controlled their destiny and blew it.

We don't need 8 teams. We need 6. That would do it. Water it down any further and it becomes the NFL playoffs which suck. Each Power 5 champ is in and there is one "wildcard". Now this year for example that would lead to a debate between Alabama and UCF. And maybe, just maybe it's fair to have some sort of rule that a Group of 5 school is in if they meet certain criteria. Otherwise you've got a system where 50% of the teams have zero chance to make the playoff before a game is even played. I don't think that's right and unlike some others on this board I do believe that a national champ from a Group of 5 school is possible over the next 10-15 years. There is more and more exposure for all programs, there is so much great coaching (at all levels of football) that the pool of very good players has expanded tremendously.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    What's interesting (at least to me) is what is different between last year and this year. Last year you had quite the argument between Penn State, Washington and even OSU. They were all really good teams. This year it was the top 3 and then it's almost like "okay who else can we fill this bracket out with?" Alabama who was completely untested and lost their only meaningful game or OSU who got smoked twice? No way Auburn should be steamed about anything. They're a 3 loss team. And they had it in front of them, all they had to do was win and instead they got rolled. They controlled their destiny and blew it.

We don't need 8 teams. We need 6. That would do it. Water it down any further and it becomes the NFL playoffs which suck. Each Power 5 champ is in and there is one "wildcard". Now this year for example that would lead to a debate between Alabama and UCF. And maybe, just maybe it's fair to have some sort of rule that a Group of 5 school is in if they meet certain criteria. Otherwise you've got a system where 50% of the teams have zero chance to make the playoff before a game is even played. I don't think that's right and unlike some others on this board I do believe that a national champ from a Group of 5 school is possible over the next 10-15 years. There is more and more exposure for all programs, there is so much great coaching (at all levels of football) that the pool of very good players has expanded tremendously.
    6 teams means that someone has to get a bye. They have to play the same number of games or it won't work.

I see 5 conference champions, 2 at large, and 1 mid-major (MAC, etc.) with very strict requirements on eligibility for at large. There should be some benefit to winning the league, but there also should be room to let both Georgia and Alabama in if they are the two best teams in the country and only one can win the SEC. Eight teams also means it is 3 weeks more of play, which is negative, but there is little that can be done to stop this train. Especially when they put an undeserving, high profile team in, two years in a row.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post

It should be that a conference championship game IS the de facto first round playoff games. There are 5 major conferences which are the only ones ever in consideration for the playoffs. The best 4 winners from those 5 get the playoff spots - end of story. That also means Notre Dame ponies up and really joins the ACC (like they have except for football) to have a chance. The remaining conferences play in a mid-major tier which gives them some nice bowl game as a reward.
    I still think this is the way to go. It is well understood that a mid-major is not getting in the playoffs - exhibit A is an undefeated UCF this year - so why not just call it like it is.

BTW - besides the playoff games & looking over the entire bowl schedule, I really like UCF v. Auburn in the Peachy Bowl. Others that look interesting are: Stanford v. TCU (Alamo); USC v. tosu (Cotton); and Miami (FL) v. Wisconsin (Orange).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    It is well understood that a mid-major is not getting in the playoffs - exhibit A is an undefeated UCF this year...
    UCF beats Auburn, starts to strengthen the case for Group of Five teams getting consideration for the playoffs. Or, Auburn wins handily, and it's "that's why you were left out of the playoffs."
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    UCF beats Auburn, starts to strengthen the case for Group of Five teams getting consideration for the playoffs. Or, Auburn wins handily, and it's "that's why you were left out of the playoffs."
    True. But remember the conversations about Boise State & Northern Illinois a few years back. Ain't getting into the playoffs.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    True. But remember the conversations about Boise State & Northern Illinois a few years back. Ain't getting into the playoffs.
    It's a bit analogous to F$U in the late 70s and the 80s - win enough games for enough years (and schedule the hardest games you can), and eventually you get a seat at the table. As a hypothetical, if Scott Frost had stayed at UCF and ripped off several 11-win seasons in a row with non-conference opponents from the Power 5, they would have worked their way into serious consideration from the committee.

Maybe...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It's a bit analogous to F$U in the late 70s and the 80s - win enough games for enough years (and schedule the hardest games you can), and eventually you get a seat at the table. As a hypothetical, if Scott Frost had stayed at UCF and ripped off several 11-win seasons in a row with non-conference opponents from the Power 5, they would have worked their way into serious consideration from the committee.

Maybe...
    Or more likely moved to the ACC. If you get good, you are invited to the table... of the conferences that matter.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Or more likely moved to the ACC. If you get good, you are invited to the table... of the conferences that matter.
    All conjecture, of course, but FSU could have joined the MAC or the WAC or whatever and still gotten notice as long as they kept hammering Florida, Miami, and the Michigans of the college football world on a yearly basis.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    All conjecture, of course, but FSU could have joined the MAC or the WAC or whatever and still gotten notice as long as they kept hammering Florida, Miami, and the Michigans of the college football world on a yearly basis.
    Sure, but by joining the ACC they got the money they needed to continue to realize their growth. I think there are limits with the second tier leagues that are just part of it... money isn't going to the MAC schools. It is to the Big10 schools. If you have a chance, you would jump in an instant. TCU to the Big12. Louisville to the ACC. Utah to PAC-12. Boise State is obviously the outlier, but they also were not considered for the playoff or the BCS championship because they didn't play in a league that matter.

I don't think FSU would have ever even considered the MAC or the WAC. Same with Boise State now. They won't. If they are going to leave their league, they are going to one that has money and is on TV. We need to just demote the MACs and WACs of the world to D-II status and move along. It would make college football better and let these schools stop pretending to be something they are not, nor will ever be.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Sure, but by joining the ACC they got the money they needed to continue to realize their growth. I think there are limits with the second tier leagues that are just part of it... money isn't going to the MAC schools. It is to the Big10 schools. If you have a chance, you would jump in an instant. TCU to the Big12. Louisville to the ACC. Utah to PAC-12. Boise State is obviously the outlier, but they also were not considered for the playoff or the BCS championship because they didn't play in a league that matter.

I don't think FSU would have ever even considered the MAC or the WAC. Same with Boise State now. They won't. If they are going to leave their league, they are going to one that has money and is on TV. We need to just demote the MACs and WACs of the world to D-II status and move along. It would make college football better and let these schools stop pretending to be something they are not, nor will ever be.
    The MAC and WACs where going to be my question. With the 8 team structure that you mentioned, which makes sense to me, should those teams even be ranked in the top 25 if they don't stand a chance. Last year Western Michigan University had a perfect season until their bowl game and was a top 25 team. However they knew they and zero chance of getting a playoff spot.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Lets face it, it all boils down money. Universities make money off of football. Athletes hope to get big contracts in the pros. That's the reason they try to get to the bigger, more successful schools. In the South, football is a big cultural thing. The bowl games are money makers for the networks and the schools.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2002
    I was reading last night that New Mexico State is going to its first bowl in . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . . 57 years! Yes, that's right, they last went to a bowl game during the 1960 season. That's just amazing. You'd think with the number of bowls these days they would have just lucked into one at some point. That is an impressive streak of futility. But good for them. I hope they have a good showing.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Go NAVY!
    BEAT Army!
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Go NAVY!
    BEAT Army!
    I made my first trip to the Army/Navy game this year and it was awesome! Even if the weather sucked and I wanted the same outcome as you did.

My FIL went to Navy in the late '50s (and as a Marine, I cheer for Navy as well) and goes to the game most every year. At the last minute, my MIL decided she didn't want to go this year so I went and the tradition and the pomp was everywhere. It was definitely a sight to see. I'm hoping to make it back for another game in the future.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Congrats to the Georgia State University Panthers on their first bowl win in the (eight year) history of their program.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Nice day at the office for Kirby yesterday - #1 recruiting class in the country.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Dabo Sweeney is shady. Ugly day for Clemson recruiting....

--

The new tax bill will affect lots of schools budgets. Will they cut the football program and the insane compensation of coaches who aren't ever going to win for the schools, or just cut more sports to keep that train moving forward? Sadly, I think the story below is correct, goodbye college athletics and hello college football and basketball associations.

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-tax-law...185631171.html

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Nice day at the office for Kirby yesterday - #1 recruiting class in the country.

Yeah, I'm going to revel in this (until we lose to OU in the Rose Bowl).

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Nice haul, but we'll see...

The Gators checked off their top priority by signing QB Emory Jones (who had previously committed to tosu - not sorry hinky). Mullen is already doing well.

*******************************************************************************

Bowling season has started, but seems to really kick-off (pun intended) tomorrow. I think I know where AG will be about 7:00.

Registered
    Aug 2005

The Gators checked off their top priority by signing QB Emory Jones (who had previously committed to tosu - not sorry hinky). Mullen is already doing well.
    Oh, we won't be as good to start next season - losing way too many starters...but I'm still giddy.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

*******************************************************************************
    This what I call a smart kid.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Since I'm not in charge of running a Bowl-game-pick-the-winner group this year or even participating in one, I haven't keep track of the winners & losers in many many games. I still watch some games, but I'm not checking in on scores all that much.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    (clears throat)

WOOF!!!

Registered
    May 2002
    Really good win for the Dawgs. Entertaining game although I will be honest, the Alabama-Clemson game far better to me. I'm old school, I love defense and that game had some hitting.

I see Alabama winning it all. They are finally healthy at the LB spot and that defensive line is just too good.

I really hope UCF ends up ranked in the Top 5. That's a legit team.

+ Reply to thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 269
    Last post: 12 Jan 2016, 6:24 PM
  2. Replies: 247
    Last post: 13 Jan 2015, 4:44 PM
  3. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 3:15 PM
  4. 2010 College Football Thread