Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Wednesday

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I get that we women are done with men saying "Hey, smile!" and they can't accept a frown as a resting face but I am so done with women scowling as they drive past you, say in a parking lot, if someone makes eye contact with me like that, I give a pleasant half smile and lately it is met with a stuck up scowl - really? in this world of ignorance right now, can we just give a half pleasant look to each other when acquainted, even for a mere 2 seconds? wtf
    It goes for men, too. I've begun mimicking their sullen expressions after they pass me. Maybe I'll understand why they're sullen.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I've got a guy complaining about a bunch of properties. The fun part, his ex owns the land after the divorce and the problem was something he did and she just got stuck with. Stuff like his then wife did a home business to do dog grooming. It's okay as long as you don't charge to board the dogs. He's saying she's got all kinds of kennels.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I was informed yesterday that the organizers of the big music festival that takes place in my new locality each year give out staff passes to all kinds of county staff and their family members. Some of them make sense - Economic Development probably should get a staff pass, I get that the County Administrator could possibly need a pass for a legitimate work purpose. Building Official definitely should be able to get in if needed.
    But I declined a pass based on the AICP code of ethics, which turned into a huge ordeal. I did buy a one-day pass because it seemed really important to them that I go, and between the pass and parking, it cost me $175. For ONE out of FOUR days.

But why does anyone from the IT department need passes? And why are family members getting free passes? All the Board members and their spouses? And apparently they had lawyers look into it and review it. I'm super uncomfortable with this, but I guess all I can do is set myself apart at this point.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    I was informed yesterday that the organizers of the big music festival that takes place in my new locality each year give out staff passes to all kinds of county staff and their family members. Some of them make sense - Economic Development probably should get a staff pass, I get that the County Administrator could possibly need a pass for a legitimate work purpose. Building Official definitely should be able to get in if needed.
    But I declined a pass based on the AICP code of ethics, which turned into a huge ordeal. I did buy a one-day pass because it seemed really important to them that I go, and between the pass and parking, it cost me $175. For ONE out of FOUR days.

But why does anyone from the IT department need passes? And why are family members getting free passes? All the Board members and their spouses? And apparently they had lawyers look into it and review it. I'm super uncomfortable with this, but I guess all I can do is set myself apart at this point.
    Alternatively....you could not over think it.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Alternatively....you could not over think it.
    Nah. I'm too ethical.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    To the guy who sent me an email while I was gone, then left a phone message asking me if I got his email:

Did you receive my email "away" message? You know, the one that said I'd return Wednesday at 7:00 AM.

I hate when people do that. It's a quick route to the end of the list.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    IT and their consultant scheduled a meeting last week with my division heads and me for tomorrow (Thursday) between 3 and 5 because I was not available today. This morning at 9, I get an email from IT telling me the meeting was rescheduled for today. "RJ, just get there when you can." And one of my division heads could not attend because of a doctor's appointment. I vented to my ACM, "I thought they worked for us!"
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    May 2004

The longer I work in this field the more I realize that ethics are misunderstood, underated and often undesireable. AICP or no. I've seen AICP planners do some unethical things, and non AICP planners hold to incredibly high ethical standards.

If it's a long standing arrangement, I wouldn't question it too much. Festivals that rely on drawing in out of towners often give all sorts of locals free passes as a sort of thank you to the community. Maybe it's simply that sort of sentiment. If you had nothing to do with the permitting then it's not really an AICP ethical dilemma IMO.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I've got a guy complaining about a bunch of properties. The fun part, his ex owns the land after the divorce and the problem was something he did and she just got stuck with. Stuff like his then wife did a home business to do dog grooming. It's okay as long as you don't charge to board the dogs. He's saying she's got all kinds of kennels.
    Long time ago, I got pulled into a divorce case. The couple was splitting up and the wife was ratting out the soon-to-be-ex husband on an illegal business. That was a fun day.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've eaten breakfast at McDonalds twice this week. Wonder what's driving the compulsion?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I've eaten breakfast at McDonalds twice this week. Wonder what's driving the compulsion?
    Convenience?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2002
    I guess I'm one of the rare people that really doesn't like their breakfast stuff. When they made the big deal about "breakfast all day" I was the guy saying, "why can't I get lunch all day?" That's why I love Waffle House, if I want a patty melt at 7 in the morning I can get it with no questions asked!
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I guess I'm one of the rare people that really doesn't like their breakfast stuff. When they made the big deal about "breakfast all day" I was the guy saying, "why can't I get lunch all day?" That's why I love Waffle House, if I want a patty melt at 7 in the morning I can get it with no questions asked!
    Because there's nothing worse than getting eyed suspiciously when ordering a sandwich at breakfast time.

People that can't color inside the lines get reported to the Powers That Be, Bub. Don't you know real Americans order: two eggs over easy with a side of hash browns, sausage links, wheat toast, and a cup of coffee for breakfast.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Booger. A female engineer came in for a meeting. She grew up with brothers, and I'll just say that she's kind of awkward. Very nice, just awkward. She sniffled a little, brushed the back of her hand across her nose, and left a booger on her nostril. Just let me say that, while this is gross, I also find it incredible funny. I had to smile into my hand. I thought at one point that she noticed it and was wiping it away, but she just rolled it to a more prominent place at the end of her nose. She eventually brushed it off, and I chose not to shake hands with her when the meeting ended.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Booger. A female engineer came in for a meeting. She grew up with brothers, and I'll just say that she's kind of awkward. Very nice, just awkward. She sniffled a little, brushed the back of her hand across her nose, and left a booger on her nostril. Just let me say that, while this is gross, I also find it incredible funny. I had to smile into my hand. I thought at one point that she noticed it and was wiping it away, but she just rolled it to a more prominent place at the end of her nose. She eventually brushed it off, and I chose not to shake hands with her when the meeting ended.
    Okay, now that post is truly worthy of a wtf!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Because there's nothing worse than getting eyed suspiciously when ordering a sandwich at breakfast time.

People that can't color inside the lines get reported to the Powers That Be, Bub. Don't you know real Americans order: two eggs over easy with a side of hash browns, sausage links, wheat toast, and a cup of coffee for breakfast.
    What kind of health kick are you on? Wheat toast?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There really isn't any 'win' when it comes to evacuation orders, is there? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    There really isn't any 'win' when it comes to evacuation orders, is there? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Maybe just maybe
    when you need to fill up your gas tank and the gas station you pull into still has gas to pump.
    you can go to family, who has room, extra water & food; so you don't have to pay for a hotel room (if you can get one) or stay in a shelter.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    The longer I work in this field the more I realize that ethics are misunderstood, underated and often undesireable. AICP or no. I've seen AICP planners do some unethical things, and non AICP planners hold to incredibly high ethical standards.

If it's a long standing arrangement, I wouldn't question it too much. Festivals that rely on drawing in out of towners often give all sorts of locals free passes as a sort of thank you to the community. Maybe it's simply that sort of sentiment. If you had nothing to do with the permitting then it's not really an AICP ethical dilemma IMO.
    My department is responsible for the special use permit that allowed them to have the festival and then I sign off on the actual temporary event permit. So, I am one of the reviewers/approvers for the event.

I just think it's bad practice. And now I found out one of the Board members was pressuring the sheriff to overlook drug use/dealing at the event because it was "good for the county." Pot's one thing, but there were a lot of harder drugs there as well that we saw people using first hand. I'm clearly not the target audience for this type of event, and I'm good if I never experience it again.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Someone is reviewing a plan at the lunch table. During lunch.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Someone is reviewing a plan at the lunch table. During lunch.
    You need to yell at that person - "Get thee outta here!"
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My department is responsible for the special use permit that allowed them to have the festival and then I sign off on the actual temporary event permit. So, I am one of the reviewers/approvers for the event.

I just think it's bad practice. And now I found out one of the Board members was pressuring the sheriff to overlook drug use/dealing at the event because it was "good for the county." Pot's one thing, but there were a lot of harder drugs there as well that we saw people using first hand. I'm clearly not the target audience for this type of event, and I'm good if I never experience it again.
    Where I work, they stress that the best way to avoid a conflict of interest is to avoid even the mere appearance of a conflict of interest. Listen to your inner Jiminy Cricket. Better to have a clean conscience and maybe a little less fun, than to have someone point an accusing finger at you. It's just not worth it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Doohickie View post
    Where I work, they stress that the best way to avoid a conflict of interest is to avoid even the mere appearance of a conflict of interest. Listen to your inner Jiminy Cricket. Better to have a clean conscience and maybe a little less fun, than to have someone point an accusing finger at you. It's just not worth it.
    That's my philosophy. I don't want to give anyone any ammunition to use against me if they decide they have a personal vendetta against me or the decisions I make.

Quote Originally posted by Doohickie View post
    I agree whole heartily. Working in the government means you have to be beyond reproach. Anything that affects your credibility makes the job that much harder to do.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    A guy just wanting to do good things for the community (aren't we all), is upset because of a business that went in without inspections, a sign that was installed without permits, and how unfair the entire system is because he has to come into compliance. Oh, and the use isn't actually allowed by-right in the district so... Fun stuff.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Mar 2007, 12:05 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 30 Jun 2004, 4:14 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last post: 27 Feb 2004, 2:15 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 10 Apr 2003, 1:34 PM