Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Wednesday

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    There is a lot I can deal with, but I am just about at the end of my rope in dealing with the transportation company that the school uses to bring my middle son to kindergarten.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My head got all turned around after Labor Day and I though Tuesday was Monday and Wednesday was Tues, so I understand mskis posting on this thread on a Thursday.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I don't do storm water calculations. That's why engineers exist.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I went on a joint inspection with another agency today, and it seems like it's going to be the Alice's Restaurant Massacree all over.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I called in sick yesterday. I am better today.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Mrs. Maister is sick today. What is it about Wednesdays?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I came to work suffering from I believe is allergies. This area saw a rise in ragweed recently, and my head is letting me know it. But with the rain yesterday and hopefully again today, the pollen will wash away for a while.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2016
    I am having Shrimp Florentine pizza for lunch. Sounds yummy!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Sitting in conference session bored to tears - but at least I get credits.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Can't convince my assistant about the ag exempt laws. She keeps going back to what the last planner and attorney talked about. Did I mention the last planner was an idiot who couldn't read state statutes correctly? My assistant even said she got confused all the time over the difference between municipal and county enabling acts which gets crazy because we use both.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    OMG fall allergies wtf - I look like I am hungover and just had a big crying spell right now - living on Zyrtec and ibuprofen but I still look puffed up wtf
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ever notice how short work weeks frequently feel like the longest?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    yes, wtf is that all about - it's like we jam 40 plus hours in 4 days - ugh
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    If, in July, I tell someone not to rinse their muddy truck tires into a creek that regularly floods and damages property, why are you still doing it in October?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    If, in July, I tell someone not to rinse their muddy truck tires into a creek that regularly floods and damages property, why are you still doing it in October?
    Because it is not July...

I have been sleeping like crap lately. I am going to see a Doctor about it tomorrow because it is getting ridiculous. I am also thinking about investing in a white noise machine. Does anyone else have one and if so, how do you like it?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Ever notice how short work weeks frequently feel like the longest?

I think this is because your brain goes into such a state of atrophy by that third weekend day, that it's hard to bounce back: Hence the four day week seems like six. This is especially true if the Monday is the holiday instead of Friday. Weeks in which you work Monday to Thursday and Friday is a holiday, which are much more rare, don't seem to be affected by this. At least in my case.

Solution: Have all Mondays off so that your brain gets used to that three day weekend.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    I think this is because your brain goes into such a state of atrophy by that third weekend day, that it's hard to bounce back: Hence the four day week seems like six. This is especially true if the Monday is the holiday instead of Friday. Weeks in which you work Monday to Thursday and Friday is a holiday, which are much more rare, don't seem to be affected by this. At least in my case.

Solution: Have all Mondays off so that your brain gets used to that three day weekend.
    See, I was thinking it was because 100% of the workload gets crammed into 80% of the usual time

Registered
    Apr 2003
    It was only a few degrees above freezing this morning. Despite it still being warm in the house, the kids did not want to get up and get ready for school. Then when they did they proceeded to be defiant with everything under the sun. It was a long morning full of stuff that I could have done without.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I don't think the temps have even gotten to the 30's YET. Normally, our first frost date in our neck of the woods is around October 10 We are seeing more strange weather patterns the last couple years than we've ever experienced in my previous half century of existence.

A very comfortable 53 coming to work this morning. Car window was down and I was wearing my normal polo shirt. It was great.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So Junior collected 9 lbs of candy last night. That is way more candy than anyone needs. Maybe some of that should get donated to a worthy cause

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Maybe some of that should get donated to a worthy cause
    Like...my belly.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    They blocked facebook at work. Sadly, I actually do use it for work purposes sometimes. In between the running political commentary I have with a couple friends through FB messenger. At least I can still ask my super obvious planning/zoning questions here. Until they catch on and block this, too. Then I guess I'll just have to use my cell phone.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh Thursday, where are you?

Boss out sick, coworker presenting at conference in NYC and forgot credit card authorization for hotel, well, forgot to fill one out, and impromptu meeting with board member. I'm done with Wednesday, but Wednesday isn't done with me.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Sometimes it is more effective to have things completed in a timely manner instead of waiting to the last possible minute. I am not a fan of the last possible minute, but it seems many other in my organization have operated this way for quite some time. I still love where I work and the the people I work with, but it is hard for me to do my job effectively when I don't have the required information until 20 minutes before the report is due.

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Mar 2007, 12:05 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 30 Jun 2004, 4:14 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last post: 27 Feb 2004, 2:15 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 10 Apr 2003, 1:34 PM