Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anthropology major interested in planning!

Registered
    Feb 2017

Anthropology major interested in planning!

Hi all! I'm currently a junior anthropology major at a big state school in California. I've been considering Urban planning as a career path since taking a few classes in urban sociology and economics. I'm really interested in the design aspects as well (although I assume this niche is filled by architects). What I'm asking if its possible for me to get into an urban planning career? I'm interested in going to grad school (Looking at schools such as CSUN and Cal Poly Pomona). I have no background whatsover in architecture and design. I'm looking into possibly applying to the Harvard Career Discovery Program this summer, not sure if anyone has experience with this. As an anthropology major, I'm starting to realize that I really don't know what to do with my career lol. Any input is appreciated!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Berkeley also has something similar to the Career Discovery summer program if you want to stay closer to CA.

Regardless of whether or not you participate in those types of programs (they tend to be a little pricey, unless you get a scholarship), start volunteering at a neighborhood non profit, advocacy group, environmental group, etc. Why do you want to pursue planning? You need a specific personal or professional experience ("story") to show how you became interested in the field. Also, try to take a couple of planning related classes during your senior year fall semester, if your school has a planning program (or try Urban Sociology, geography, civil engineering, landscape architecture, architecture or environmental studies electives). If it's possible for you, maybe see if you can study abroad in the fall? That's another option.

Most of all though, I think a lot of us on these threads advocate for at least a year of work experience before you start applying to grad schools. This can literally be anything, even if it's related more to your undergrad major than planning. Maybe a year long internship or fellowship with a non-profit if you can't find a full-time position.

Registered
    Feb 2017
    Thanks for the response! I'm interested in planning due to its multidisciplinary approach to tackling issues such as public health. I'm a big proponent of biking and having pedestrian friendly spaces and creating safer cities.I'm of a minority and lower middle class, and living in a gentrifying city has caused me to think critically about the impacts of the built environment. I'm going to participate in a service learning course next semester dedicated to working on a specific issue in my city, so that should be interesting. I'm thinking of doing AmeriCorps after college as well. My only issue is that my GPA is less than stellat (barely at a 3.0), I'm very shy, and I lack exposure to the field in general.Overall, I'm interested in the field mostly because I'm not sure what other grad program I can apply to that has interesting and practical coursework. But I also am geniunely interested in making a difference in people's lives. I'm at a point where I'm a little lost in my career path and I have to decide to go the corporate route or find a fulfilling career / title. I'm a bit tired of anthroppology classes TBH. My school literally has no urban planning claases,closest things are urban sociology and urban economics lol.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Jun 2013, 5:40 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Jan 2011, 9:33 PM
  3. Interested in planning
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Aug 2009, 11:09 PM
  4. LA student interested in planning
    Make No Small Plans