Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: Hello from Ontario, Canada!

Registered
    Mar 2017

Hello from Ontario, Canada!

Hi everyone, I've been lurking but just got my acceptance from McGill and from Queens for their Master of (Urban) Planning programs! I'm super excited.

3 years after I did my bachelors in engineering from McGill, I'm going back to school so that'll be a change. Still confused which one to go to - gotta decide in 2 weeks. Also, if anyone has any tips before starting school hit me!

Looking forward to more lurking but also more participating

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Welcome from the Midcoast of Maine!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zosk View post
    Hi everyone, I've been lurking but just got my acceptance from McGill and from Queens for their Master of (Urban) Planning programs! I'm super excited.

3 years after I did my bachelors in engineering from McGill, I'm going back to school so that'll be a change. Still confused which one to go to - gotta decide in 2 weeks. Also, if anyone has any tips before starting school hit me!

Looking forward to more lurking but also more participating
    Welcom aboard Zosk!
    What do Canadians call 'regular' bacon? I know what Americans call 'Canadian bacon' is called 'back bacon' where you're at, but what do you call those fatty strips of bacon at the grocery store?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2017
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Welcom aboard Zosk!
    What do Canadians call 'regular' bacon? I know what Americans call 'Canadian bacon' is called 'back bacon' where you're at, but what do you call those fatty strips of bacon at the grocery store?
    You know what? I've never, ever thought about it. Bacon to me is just... bacon. It always has just existed in my life. Deliciously so.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Hello from Kansas. No, there's no special Kansas bacon cut.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hey

Howdy from the dirtiest, most filthy place in California (No not Van Nuys).

Enjoy your visit....and I may need to claim asylum on your couch.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello from ! My tip for grad school - if you don't already have a job in the field, get and keep an internship!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2017
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for the tips. The program I'll be doing requires both an internship in the summer between the academic years AND a research project.

Also. You'd all be welcome to crash on my couch in Montreal! It's beautiful here.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Feb 2011, 2:46 PM
  2. Smith Falls, Ontario, Canada
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Dec 2008, 6:52 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Jun 2007, 6:54 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Nov 2006, 4:14 PM