Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Which has the better Urban Planning - Historic Preservation Program, UMD College Park or VCU?

Registered
    Mar 2017

Which has the better Urban Planning - Historic Preservation Program, UMD College Park or VCU?

I have been recently accepted into these two graduate programs. Would like some outside advice on choosing which one to attend in Fall, especially with concentrations in Historic City Planning and Urban Revitalization? Considering all factors (employment opportunities in field, living, social scene, and ect.)...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    May-retta, huh? I live in East Cobb...

Anyhoo, where do you want to work? I don't know anything about VCU's program, but one of my junior folks has his MHP degree from U Maryland and will talk your ear off about how great it is. I generally tend to view HP degrees on a regional basis due to the variances in vernacular architecture, which is important if you want to work at the local (city/county) level.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2017
    Currently, I'm graduating from my undergraduate studies (majors in History & Urban Affairs) at Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville. Been working in Higher Ed. Administration as a Career Peer Advisor, but now would like to transition into the field of Historic City Planning & Urban Revitalization in Metro D.C area. Big thing I'm weighing is funding & cost of living, which going to College Park has steep entry price tag but larger oppertunities in the field. Additional plus is that I will be doing a dual master program in Urban Planning & Historic Preservation, giving me a larger variety of career opitions.

Virginia Commonwealth appeal is really due to Richmond and lesser cost of attending its program (though would only recieve a Certificate in Urban Revetizlation than dual-master degree at UMD). They also been trying more to sway me to attend than my other accepted insitutions like College Park and Virginia Tech...

Out of general interest, is anybody in the North Metro-Atlanta area would like Summer Urban Planning Intern? Hoping to strengthen skill set before starting my graduate work and would like to network with those in field to keep ties in this part of South.

Registered
    Oct 2016
    Barbarossal, have you heard anything about funding from VCU?

Registered
    May 2002
    I can't speak about VCU but one of my preservation planners came from UMCP and she's top notch. Also, I've worked with that entire program/department on various projects and studies and can tell you they're doing great things there. Check out the opportunities the students get with the PALS program. I don't think you can go wrong there and can get a lot of good experiences. Plus you'll be able to make contacts with professionals in the region while you're a student.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Mar 2009, 5:49 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 May 2007, 3:55 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Apr 2007, 8:03 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Aug 2006, 11:10 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Apr 2005, 12:12 AM