Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How to spend the summer before graduate studies in urban planning?

Registered
    Mar 2017

How to spend the summer before graduate studies in urban planning?

Out of the extensive experience of the Planning Community here, what would you guys recommended doing over Summer Break [3 months] to sharpen your professional-technical skills before Grad. School? I'm coming out of Liberal Arts insitution with majors in History & Liberal Studies [minors in International and Urban Studies], and would like to focus on picking up programing abilities in GISArch and foriegn language of Spainish. Looking for an Internship or Entry-Level Position as well, but finding it difficult with lack of selection in Metro-Atlanta and Richmond (D.C has several, but no offers yet...). Suggestions for a solid game plan?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Internship would be the best option, if you can get one. If not, work to save up money for grad school and try to travel a bit if you can - you won't have time or money later once you're in school!

As for technical skills, you'll probably take an Intro to GIS class in grad school. But it can't hurt to get a preview if you have time. Though, I would maybe focus more on sharpening your Excel and math skills - that's less taught in planning school but so useful.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I start with drinking heavily, but that's more OJT than anything else. If not, is there a short term program for Ameri-corp? I don't know the program myself. Make sure you can do your research and statistics stuff. Excel, SPSS, or whatever program your college likes. GIS is always a great skill. Knowing GIS will help get you hired. See if you can shadow some of the local planners if you can't get an internship. Sometimes you have to take the no pay internship. If you're going to shadow people try to get a good variety in like city, county, state level people and maybe different realms like traffic guys and land use people.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    ^ haha, OJT training... good one *glug glug glug* Cheers!

Back on point - my suggestion: take a breath, read some material on sustainable communities, get involved in your local politics, and really start to evaluate where/what you want to do when you graduate. MCP programs are over pretty quick, so start planning your break out from grad school.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013

shadowing

I heavily second shadowing and informational interviewing so you can get a sense of what planners do and form a sense of where you want to intern over the next summer if you are not able to do something "productive" per se this summer.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Side bar: did you find that informational interviews were successful?

I got a lot of feedback from professors in grad school to do that, but when I could actually get someone to agree to give me an informational interview, they went fairly horrible. Instead of helpful advice, I got grandiose boasting, self-promotion, etc. Nothing like I expected, so to this day I consider informational interviews a waste of time (WOT). Curious how yours went.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Sorry to hear that Mine went fairly well, but they are only helpful if you know enough about planning already that you can ask the right questions. Otherwise you just come off stupid and it's a waste of everyone's time. I guess mine was a unique case because I did my undergrad in planning as well, so I was already at least a little familiar with the issues and had attended APA conferences as well. My main reason for informational interviewing (I didn't shadow a planner, only got to a do a landscape architect, but I did a planning summer internship so that helped a lot) was to prepare for graduate school.

If you're not really sure yet what planning entails and just want to get a broad opinion, I would maybe get drinks with a younger professional (someone recently out of school) rather than pestering someone senior. That, and read a lot.

Registered
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally posted by akshali2000 View post
    .... That, and read a lot.
    Any particular recommendations regarding what to read? Any specific blogs to follow? (I'm starting a graduate program as well in the fall!)

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    I didn't shadow a planner, only got to a do a landscape architect
    Hey now, LA's are like planners+. Or at least, I think they are.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Zosk View post
    Any particular recommendations regarding what to read? Any specific blogs to follow? (I'm starting a graduate program as well in the fall!)

Thanks!
    CityLab and Planetizen (sign up for their newsletter) should do the trick

I would also suggest attending a couple of community meetings, City council/Planning Commission meetings or volunteering with a neighborhood organization! Whatever is close to where you live. A lot of these meetings are posted online and/or through social media.

CityLab and Planetizen (sign up for their newsletter) should do the trick

I would also suggest attending a couple of community meetings, City council/Planning Commission meetings or volunteering with a neighborhood organization! Whatever is close to where you live. A lot of these meetings are posted online and/or through social media.
    I would second going to planning commissions hearing. They are open to the public and a great insight on how the system works.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I would second going to planning commissions hearing. They are open to the public and a great insight on how the system works.
    Or doesn't work , depending on the planning commission. It is eye-opening to see planning commissions approve projects that ignore master plans, city visioning/guidance documents, etc. It makes you realize that politics, more than anything, run the 'planning' of towns/cities. That's a great lesson to learn early on, and it stays with you.

Registered
    May 2006
    I interned for the summers between my undergrad years, one for a community planning org and the other for a municipalist political party. Great learning experiences! Def try and intern and if not, enjoy your summer and get trashed!! Because you dont want to do that while studying, trust me I blew my undergrad studio because of depression/boozing. Got into a less design centric MUP anyway because I was quite strong elsewhere (and good graces) but still. One token I will leave here is that unpaid internships (like partying) should be left for undergrads.

My advice is to go the intern route, but also enjoy your summer and live it up! Because you want to devote yourself fully to getting the most out of your MUP.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 17 Oct 2014, 8:02 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 4:14 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 Jul 2009, 11:25 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 1:07 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Mar 1998, 11:36 PM