Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vacation plats

Registered
    Aug 2004

Vacation plats

Don't get a lot of these, and was wondering how you all handle vacation plat requests.

1) Do you have a mechanism for vacating plats?

2) If you are vacating a replat/amending plat, does it revert back to the original plat, or all the way back to unplatted land?

3) Does it go before your Platting authority (P&Z, Subdivision, City Council, etc) or is it administrative? If on an agenda, is it consent?

I have a meeting later this week to discuss a potential vacation plat, so I'm brushing up on my requirements. Made me wonder what you all have in your fair town.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Our code calls out for it to use the same process as a final plat. Once it's done we wipe out the whole thing and all the public roads become private messes. I was close to doing one, but I got it kicked out before a meeting.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Don't get a lot of these, and was wondering how you all handle vacation plat requests.

1) Do you have a mechanism for vacating plats?

2) If you are vacating a replat/amending plat, does it revert back to the original plat, or all the way back to unplatted land?

3) Does it go before your Platting authority (P&Z, Subdivision, City Council, etc) or is it administrative? If on an agenda, is it consent?

I have a meeting later this week to discuss a potential vacation plat, so I'm brushing up on my requirements. Made me wonder what you all have in your fair town.
    It really depends on what is being vacated. Most common is probably a street or alley way vacation, rather than a full plat being vacated. Normally, as part of the process the end ownership of the land is established, typically to adjoining lots. However, in the case of a vacation of a replat, logic would say that it would return to the platting established by the previous plat.

A full plat vacation would follow normal platting procedures. Streets are commonly vacated via ordinance as the owner is a municipality.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Conveyance plats
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Dec 2015, 1:53 PM
  2. Subdivision Requiring FFE's on final plats?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Jun 2013, 11:42 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Jun 2007, 4:28 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Apr 2007, 6:43 PM
  5. Plats for condos
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Aug 2004, 2:34 PM