Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Request for Information: Autocad 2000i and transition towards ArcView G.I.S.

Registered
    Sep 1998

Request for Information: Autocad 2000i and transition towards ArcView G.I.S.

Hi All:
    Thought this would be the best place to post this as the newer planning grads may have the best handle on the techie stuff.

Our department wants to move towards all digital mapping being in Arcview 3.2. Much of our existing cadastral mapping was created in Autodesk Autocad 2000i.

Before you ask, yes, I know Acrview 8 is now available, but we just got 3.2 and probably won't have the funds for the upgrade for a while.

Question 1.
    Is anyone out there in the same boat? Does anyone know of a good ArcView plug-in that can be used to simplify the translation of existing autocad mapping into .SHP files (that retain all the multiple layer functionality of the original autocad .dwg)

Question 2.
    Does anyone know of a good Acrview plug-in that affords the user moderate to high end drawing capabilities as would normally bre found in Autocad.

Any adice, assistance or www leads on the subject would be greatly apprecieated.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Your questions require very detailed reponses...moreso than can be handled here. I sent you a private message with my phone # to discuss in greater detail.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: Request for Information: Autocad 2000i and transition towards ArcView G.I.S.

Originally posted by pandersen

Question 2.
    Does anyone know of a good Acrview plug-in that affords the user moderate to high end drawing capabilities as would normally bre found in Autocad.

One of the reasons I prefer AutoCAD over the ESRI programs.

Why are you converting if I may ask?

Registered
    Nov 2001

Re: Request for Information: Autocad 2000i and transition towards ArcView G.I.S.

Originally posted by pandersen
    Hi All:
    Thought this would be the best place to post this as the newer planning grads may have the best handle on the techie stuff.

Our department wants to move towards all digital mapping being in Arcview 3.2. Much of our existing cadastral mapping was created in Autodesk Autocad 2000i.

Before you ask, yes, I know Acrview 8 is now available, but we just got 3.2 and probably won't have the funds for the upgrade for a while.

Question 1.
    Is anyone out there in the same boat? Does anyone know of a good ArcView plug-in that can be used to simplify the translation of existing autocad mapping into .SHP files (that retain all the multiple layer functionality of the original autocad .dwg)

ArcView is not the product to use for conversion of .dwg file into .shp. AV is a browser of sorts. It is intended to view spatial data and perform analysis and cartography (make pretty maps), but is not designed for spatial data updates or maintenance. You are looking for the functionality of ArcInfo (about $10,000 and ESRI's flagship product). Arc 8.3 (when it is available in Spring) will afford you much of what you are looking for, but I do not believe there is an upgrade from AV3.2. I think you must purchase the software outright (about $4-5,000).

Question 2.
    My advice is to invest dollors to upgrade from 2000i to Map 6 with Subscription. This will run you about a $1,000 intially (mostly for the upgrade and this assuming you work for in the public sector) and about $350 annually thereafter. Map6 will afford you all the functionality of typical ACAD, but will provide you with the tools for creating clean-ing point, line, polyline, and polgon files, creating polygon and network topologies (the build function in ArcInfo), and conversion capabilities. Morever, with Map6 you can import and assign attribute data and utilize RDBMSs, and import and export .shp files and coverages..

MAP6 will be the workhorse and AV3.2 will be the eyecandy.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Sep 1998

Re: Re: Request for Information: Autocad 2000i and transition towards ArcView G.I.S.

[Why are you converting if I may ask? [/B][/QUOTE]

My office would like to be able to convert/bring forward autocad mapping into a GIS environment so we can link (geocode)external data such as property ownership/assessment information to existing high quality cadastral base mapping. Simply put, we would like to use GIS to produce/maintain mapping showing "real time" updated registered subdivision information.

Further, we would like to bring forward existing development plan and zoning layers in autocad into a GIS system such that this information can be modified/updated in GIS when an amendment occurs. The modelling capabilities of GIS would be useful here too.

In addition, another end goal of bringing forward our cad mapping into GIS, is provide our office's non-drafting/gis technicians (old school land use planners) with a tool that can be used to conduct "what if" scenario modelling - particularly useful in assessing the impacts of newly siting/ex[panding intensive livestock operations.

Last but not least, our office would like to explore the possibility of making various GIS products available for use by the public and consultants (via the intrnet and possibily the internet).

Question:
    Do you think santa is capable of fulfilling all of my wishes?

I've been "good" all year, honest!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Sep 2013, 1:33 PM
  2. Why do planners need AutoCAD when...
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 May 2007, 12:20 PM
  3. Autocad vs. GIS
    Student Commons
    Replies: 32