Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gis & Esri

Gis & Esri

Who has gone through the whole evolution of this ESRI program are you at 8. whatever and what do you think about it? I took 3.2 introduction and some parts I was really interested in others just seemed really flimsy to me. It could have been the teachers though. Is ESRI GIS a part of your Geo program?

at the Community College I attend they canceled the class.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We're at 8 up here. Before I left my previous job I had to take the ESRI training for 8, they want me to sit through 48 boring hours of the same class out here to be able to get it on my computer. We're in a standoff now, I don't see the purpose in re-taking something I already passed and make my new city pay for it. Besides, I only want it to make my own locators (easy) and verify addresses and zoning (easy). The newest version seemed to have some bugs when I was in class, and overall I think the process you had to go through for the same result on 3.2 was tedious.

The school I graduated from practically sold their souls to ESRI; the geog. department had the 4+ computer labs to prove it.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We Run ESRI's ArcInfo, ArcGIS (Arcview) 8.2, ArcIMS, and ArcExplorer. Overall happy, but we're adding ArcSDE next spring and just discovered it doesnt play well with ArcIMS. So now we're stuck buying another server.... grrr.

well I felt the product promotion being stuffed down my throat about 10 minutes in the first class. I thought that some of the applications were really great and useful -what bturk mentions is essentially what we started on- building a database of addresses to correspond to a map. Are there other programs or companies that do this stuff.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by bturk
    We Run ESRI's ArcInfo, ArcGIS (Arcview) 8.2, ArcIMS, and ArcExplorer. Overall happy, but we're adding ArcSDE next spring and just discovered it doesnt play well with ArcIMS. So now we're stuck buying another server.... grrr.

What a conincidence, I am experiencing the same thing...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Also has anybody worked with intellecad? does this program do any of the functions that arc does.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    My husband is my town's GIS guy, and we're in the process of moving up to 8. In my old job I spent all day on 3.2, and now, for how little i use GIS, I really don't want to go through the hassle of learning 8. sigh.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS ESRI ArcGIS 10
    Information Technology
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 05 Dec 2012, 10:52 AM
  2. GIS ESRI UC 2013
    Information Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2012, 8:14 AM
  3. Replies: 43
    Last post: 01 Feb 2011, 2:16 PM