Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cornell or Cal Poly Pomona

Registered
    Apr 2017

Cornell or Cal Poly Pomona

Here for some help from my experienced friends. I have been accepted to Cal Poly Pomona and recently to Cornell as well. I am very interested in the concentration of Land use planning/design. Which school would be best for me? I have no undergrad debt. I'm willing to relocate. In the end, I want a program that'll give me those hands on skills (no more theoretical please) and is a good program. Can anyone help me out? Unfortunately after just barely letting me know two days ago, Cornell has only given me until April 15th to decide.

I am from LA Metro area so I'd commute to CPP. Is Cal Poly worth the extra debt? I got offered 7.5k of GTRS a year but I'd still need to take a loan for the rest of the 24k and to cover housing, books, etc.
    CPP is covering all my tuition cost so I would only have to worry about paying books, fees, and transportation.

Registered
    Sep 2015
    Before I start I'll say I've been accepted to Cornell and am heavily leaning towards going there. I only applied to UCLA out in California and didn't get it. I currently live only 4.5 hours drive from Cornell.

From what I understand after lurking on these forums for a while now and researching meticulously Cornell, if its the hands on stuff you want, you're much better inclined to go to CPP. But my recommendation doubles if you've been offered a free ride there, and triples if you want to stay in the west coast market.

I can only see you going to Cornell if you 1.) really wanna get out of California, 2.) want to do international work perhaps, but 3.) most importantly if Cornell could offer you something almost on par with CPP.

Good luck.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Cornell has east coast cred, but not so much on the west coast though it is known as a standard ivy league. On the other hand, CPP has very little cred outside of CA, but is very well regarded for planning/design in CA because the planning program is jointly held with the Landscape Architecture program. CPP has one of the best LA programs in the country (including Harvard), because, it is one of the most hands-on programs around. Super technical and occupational directed. A win-win when (ha!) you get out of school.

Registered
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally posted by mercdude View post
    Cornell has east coast cred, but not so much on the west coast though it is known as a standard ivy league. On the other hand, CPP has very little cred outside of CA, but is very well regarded for planning/design in CA because the planning program is jointly held with the Landscape Architecture program. CPP has one of the best LA programs in the country (including Harvard), because, it is one of the most hands-on programs around. Super technical and occupational directed. A win-win when (ha!) you get out of school.
    I kinda already understood that about Cornell as far as West Coast. TBH my long term goal is to end up somewhere warmer even if I go to Cornell :P

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Mar 2012, 7:45 AM
  2. Cal Poly Pomona or SLO?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Nov 2010, 3:27 AM
  3. MLA Cal Poly-Pomona
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Mar 2008, 11:35 PM