Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Impact of Historic Area Designation?

Registered
    Sep 2001

Impact of Historic Area Designation?

I'm wondering if there has ever been published a systematic study of the impact on neighborhoods of designation as historic districts. Even just a comparison of areas designated with areas where designation was considered but rejected. Or simply narrative descriptions of how designation (or lack thereof) seems to have affected some places. I'm mainly interested in residential areas, though studies of commercial or other types of areas might also be of interest.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    A pretty comprehensive study has been done by the Indiana Landmarks Foundation (I may have the name wrong - perhaps the Indiana Historic Preservation Foundation?). They are a pretty big group, so you could probably call the State Historic Preservation Office to find them. Also, you may want to check out a book called "the economic bennefits of historic preservation".

Registered
    Aug 1997

HLFI

It's the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana. One of the best state preservation groups in the country.
    http://www.historiclandmarks.org
    They did a report on the economic benefits of residential preservation districts, and found that the district's property values increased faster than non-district properties. The report was by noted HP Economist Donovan Rypkema.
    Hope this helps.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Thanks to both for your suggestion. I have queried HLFI, and Donovan Rypkema is a good name for web searches. I would have replied earlier, but apparently the "email notification" function isn't working for me, so I just found your responses tonight.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Sep 2010, 2:44 PM
  2. Historic designation to avoid affordable housing
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 May 2010, 11:30 AM
  3. What about a new AICP designation?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Mar 2008, 8:22 AM