Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UCSD USP or UCI US

Registered
    May 2017

UCSD USP or UCI US

Hello, i am currently trying to decide if i should attend UCSD's Urban studies and planning program, or UCI's Urban Studies program for my B.A. I am not sure which program is better, i've visited both schools and i love both of them. The cost of attendance is about the same for both schools.

I'm looking for advice on which school will be better for my experience and connections. If you guys could point me in the right direction before the SIR date, June 1st, that would be amazing!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Lived/worked in SD for a number of years, attended SDSU's graduate program. SD is a wonderful place to be when you're young and want to party, have adventures, meet lots of interesting people, and enjoy life. It's not a place to start your professional career. The career prospects in that town are dismal. Consider this: everyone from the world wants to live in SD, so you'll face local, regional, state, national, and international competition for an entry level job after school. Which means, you guessed it, there are a lot of 23-28 year old college graduates working as waiters. Oh yeah, and there are 3 major universities in that town + military - even more competition. Still though, SD is a fun place to be as a college student and I have lots of fond memories, but after a few years of going nowhere you have to pickup and move on. That's the name of the game in SD, and it happens frequently.

The LA area (I think) is the better of the 2 options simply because there are more opportunities after school. Which means, after your stint in college you'll be able to transition into professional life easier. You're going to get about the same education either way at an undergraduate level, so pick the area that best supports the start of your career.

And lastly, urban studies may not be focused enough to score you an entry level planning job. So consider that carefully. Btw, have you looked into Cal Poly (Pomona)? That school has an excellent reputation for planning.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Honestly, as someone who studied planning in undergrad, I wouldn't recommend doing urban studies/planning as your main major at all. You're going to need to go to grad school anyway. Better to major in something more technical, but related, that will give you more hard skills and employment opportunities, add on an urban studies minor, graduate in 4 years, work for 2 years, and then go to planning school for your master's. Great options include landscape architecture, civil engineering, architecture, journalism, GIS, economics, or environmental science with a minor in urban studies.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    ^I agree. If I were to do it over again, I'd have done landscape architecture as an undergrad (or environmental science) and then finished up with a quick 32-6 unit APA certified MCP.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 May 2013, 1:49 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 21 May 2010, 3:26 AM