Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Reuse projects

Registered
    Dec 2001

Reuse projects

An applicant is attempting to revitalize several buildings on a lot - the issue is that if they must meet the current parking standards the site will lose a majority of the open space for parking. Currently, the city has no standards for a parking reduction and limited info on shared parking, but an un-scientific count is showing the site to have about half of maximum capacity of the current, required parking. This is not a multi-modal place either, it's drivers, drivers, everywhere. Does anyone have a good example of a parking reduction ordinance? Something that would allow staff to get creative while still providing the city protection if this turned into a parking issue for the surrounding neighborhood?
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    In our historic downtown, when more than 50% of the users in a block don't meet the off-street parking requirement, the Board may waive the requirement entirely. Very useful for reducing demolition pressure on historic buildings. (Not the pristine ones - they are safe. It's the buildings that contribute to the ambience but don't have much going for them aesthetically that are most endangered for loss to meet off-street parking requirements.)
    Not valid without corporate seal

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've seen/used the following individually or used in combination:
    • minimum parking waived in downtown
    • minimum parking waived in downtown, conditioned upon on-street parking improvements/streetscape requirements
    • shared parking formula that adjusts for use category peak hours
    • 50% parking minimum reduction in downtown
    • parking fee-in-lieu paid to the city, which can be used for downtown pedestrian/parking improvements

I'll try to find some code bits for you from these other places I've worked.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    But all of these reductions would be based on the ITE or other technical findings, not just a grab bag. This is outside of the downtown area as well, which already provides for a parking reduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

We adopted parking maximums for most commercial development. Other development such as office and industrial does not have a defined parking requirement. During the development review process, the applicant has to justify to our Development Review Committee why they should have the parking stalls they show on their plan. We've got way too much parking in our community and we don't want to keep replicating it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    For zoning by-laws I write I usually do two things to reduce the pressure to tear down and to make it viable to repurpose old buildings:

1) No parking requirements in downtown. These areas usually have on-street parking, and they're also the areas where it's the often the most challenging to fit new parking into the existing urban fabric.
    2) For existing buildings (i.e. legally existing on date of adoption), only require modern parking requirements to be applied to any expansions. I.e. the spaces you have apply to the existing portion of the building, and can't be reduced in number. Want to add 4 more residential units on top? You'll have to add 4 more spaces.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Best reuse of an Altoids Tin
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Dec 2015, 11:09 AM
  2. Industrial reuse
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Feb 2009, 11:24 AM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last post: 03 Mar 2005, 3:09 PM