Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Two-way street restoration: the actual conversion strategy

Registered
    Aug 2003

Two-way street restoration: the actual conversion strategy

I'm looking for information on the turn-over from the existing one-way system to the restored two-way system. How did you implement this change? Did you do a media campaign?

The Town Next DoorTM has a couple of one-way couplets running north/south that have an ADT around 12,000 and four one-way couplets running east/west between them, with much lower ADT. It appears they plan to do it piece-meal and I'm not sure that's a great idea. But, it's not my call.

So, it got me thinking. Did you go two-way all at once, or couplet by couplet, or street by street? Pros, cons, links?
    Not valid without corporate seal

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I would suggest giving San Marcos, TX a call.

They haven't actually switched anything over yet, but they did a temporary 2-way conversion pop-up event a few years ago, and are studying permanent conversion now. The temporary switch was a really cool, fun way to test fly the concept. They even flipped and programmed traffic signals to work with it. At a minimum, they can hook you up with some technical know-how on how they've modeled the changes, etc.

Memo on studying the conversion

The one aspect that is not transferable is that it is tremendously difficult to accomplish any major change in San Marcos--politically charged environment that is prone to paralysis by analysis.

Seguin, TX has started to kick it around as well, but they haven't gotten far.

If you want some consulting assistance, I would suggest Gateway Planning Group and Kimley-Horn. Both of them have been involved in multiple conversions around the country. If you decide to go that route, I've got Texas contact info for both.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Thanks, Burb Fixer. I probably wasn't clear. All the study and debate and analysis and hand wringing are done. The Town Council and Works Board have decided, and the engineering is complete. What's going on now is the resurfacing, striping, signals and signage work, etc. What I'm wondering is:

Is it best to switch all the streets from one-way to two-way at one time. "Hey, everybody, at 3:00AM on Sunday night, these one-way streets will now be two-way forever after. Please drive accordingly." Or is it better to switch Maple Street from one- to two-way first, then Sycamore Street a few days later, then Ash and Willow streets after that.

Or does it not really make any difference?

I commute through this 'burg, so I'm curious.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Feb 1998
    As a driver, I would appreciate it done all at the same time. Just confuse me once.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Ahhhh...

I would absolutely do it all at once, as long as it is logistically possible. I suspect most engineers would agree that an incremental roll-out over several days introduces a level of confusion that negatively affects public safety compared to an "all at once" approach. Shouldn't be hard, as you can do everything except paint the yellow stripes in advance. Then all you have to do at 3am is pull the bags off the new signs/signals and run those yellow stripes down the middle.

And you cannot communicate too much with this. Go absolutely nuts with warning signs, PSAs, social media videos, etc. leading up to the switch.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Eco restoration jobs and MLA or BLA?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Aug 2008, 1:33 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 10 Apr 2008, 8:41 PM
  3. Antique furniture restoration
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 05 Nov 2005, 10:33 PM