Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I am not sure anyone would notice if many of the USDA programs were cut

Registered
    Feb 2006

I am not sure anyone would notice if many of the USDA programs were cut

I have been working in a rural state and rural areas a lot of my career. I have only really worked with one project that used a USDA program. They fund very little generally here. I guess I do not feel angst over them getting cut for that reason. It really didn't do much for us anyway.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Are any of the rural development loan programs going away?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    From https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whi...y2018/msar.pdf

Major Savings and Reforms
    BUDGET OF THE U. S. GOVERNMENT
    Fiscal Year 2018

Discretionary Eliminations and Reductions
    Department of Agriculture
    Conservation Operations.....
    Forest Service Land Acquisition....
    McGovern-Dole International Food for Education...
    Rural Business and Cooperative Service....
    Rural Development Salaries and Expenses....
    Rural Water and Waste Disposal Program Account...
    Single Family Housing Direct Loans......

Mandatory Reforms
    Department of Agriculture
    Agricultural Marketing Service User Fee...
    Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service User Fee....
    Eliminate Interest Payments to Electric and Telecommunications Utilities....
    Eliminate the Rural Economic Development Program...
    Farm Bill Savings.....
    Food Safety and Inspection Service User Fee.....
    Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration User Fee....
    SNAP Reforms...
    SNAP Retailer Application Fee.....

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I find most of the USDA programs go toward the really small towns. If you work in an area like me that has the ability to hire a planner you're too big for USDA. Like Hawkeye, I've done one project in my area, but you multiply projects like that for tiny towns across Kansas and I can see an effect. Projects I'm used to seeing are drinking water and sewer systems mostly.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I have attended meetings with them over the years. I would be interested to know the utilization of their programs. In a low interest rate environment, they really were not offering much in a lot of cases. You had to be pretty bad off Median Income wise as I recall.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I don't work directly with them because I am in an urban area too large. But my wife does housing work in rural areas and says the USDA programs are useful for affordable rural housing development, in lieu of tools like HOME.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

HA!

USDA grants are like seeing a unicorn in the distance....you know it can't be real....but you try to catch it anyway.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    USDA grants are like seeing a unicorn in the distance....you know it can't be real....but you try to catch it anyway.
    We we never did really try to catch it. They really didnt come around a whole lot and try to sell their programs. Their office was a few counties over and in three years in my current job they showed up once at a meeting to talk about housing. Almost no one in Iowa uses them to finance water or waste water projects. Its almost always the State of iowa's revolving loan fund. They don't really offer anything better, and just red tape.

Maybe for the 1000 and under types its different.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Really? I got one for $50k last year and I'm applying for another one this year. It helps with a home rehabilitation program. Although we are getting too large, they are willing to use the census numbers so we are still eligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We are way too large for any of the programs in the proposed cuts, but I know that their home loan program is relatively popular for folks not too far from here.

Beyond these programs though, I could see me feeling the effects of general cuts to staff at the USDA: The USDA employs a lot of PhD level economists and demographers (on par with the BLS and BEA) and their work provides the a good portion of the basis for a lot of the economic impact modeling and forecasting that I do as it trickles down to population and demographic movements in all geographies and production and GDP forecasts in many industries. Yes, the forecasts and models can go on without the input from the federal data sources but the accuracy and timeliness will suffer. If you use programs like REMI or IMPLAN, these could be adversely effected by staffing cuts at the federal level since they rely on a lot of that data as well.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Two-week notice, enough?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 02 May 2016, 3:09 PM
  2. Notice to South Division
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Sep 2006, 12:17 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Jun 2005, 5:38 PM