Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Referencing AICP on resume while waiting to pay post passing test

Referencing AICP on resume while waiting to pay post passing test

Hi,

I recently found out that I passed the May 2017 AICP exam. I'm in the process of writing applications and want to reference that I passed the exam. However, when APA sent me my scores they wrote,

"Next Steps
    The week of July 18th, you will receive an email with a link to pay your AICP dues through the website. If you need an invoice, then you can request it at that time. After the dues are paid you can begin using the AICP designation and logging Certification Maintenance. Finally, you will receive an AICP welcome packet approximately four weeks after the payment is processed."

I'm sending out resumes right now for applications that are due two weeks before I will get my official designation. Is there any reason I shouldn't write this on my resume?:

"Passed the AICP credential exam in May of 2017. APA will permit me to use the AICP designation after the week of July 18th, when they send me the link to pay annual dues."

Thanks!

Registered
    May 2002
    I'd start using it. By the time you (hopefully) get any interviews you will be paid up and everything will be good. You passed. It's yours. It's not your fault they take so long to get things done.

<when I passed my exam in 2002 the results were delayed for quite a while due to "unforseen issues". So it was late August until I got my packet which had a nice letter telling me I'd passed. It also included an invoice that "for my convenience" was prorated back to May for my unapid AICP dues. It was like one hand shaking mine and the other was reaching into my pocket. Damn money grubbers.>
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I think you can use it. You have written verification of passing and written verification that an invoice for dues is forthcoming. By the time they verify your AICP, it'll be paid.

What I can't figure out is why they can't instantly calculate everything and send your invoice immediately--their payment system is fairly robust.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Like the others said, use it since you know you passed. And congrats on passing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Need AICP ethics help (not a test question)
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Jan 2006, 6:54 PM
  2. What is passing score on AICP exam?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Jun 2005, 2:43 PM
  3. AICP Test 04' -- Advice?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 11 Aug 2004, 3:12 PM
  4. How long is the AICP test?