Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parks isolated by interstates?

Registered
    Jul 2017

Parks isolated by interstates?

I am currently looking into the idea of designing a new park on a piece of property in an urban neighborhood. The property is bordered on three sides by interstates and railroad tracks. My client is adamant that no park that is bounded by interstates on more than one side has ever succeeded. The client claims this is a well-known fact and that there are multiple precedents to verify this. I have been doing research on this subject and can't seem to find any information to either substantiate or contradict this claim.

Does anyone have any examples of this? I am ideally looking for parks that have been successful in spite of their proximity to the interstates, but would be interested in more information on the alternative as well.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Waterfront Park in Louisville is very successful. It is bounded by I-65 and I-64/71. It can be fairly loud, but the noise becomes less obtrusive if you are accustomed to being in an urban space.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    What kind of park - commercial/industrial park, neighborhood park, etc? I would say that the noise levels would be fairly objectionable to a neighborhood park but that wouldn't make it 'unsuccessful', just not utilized by typical citizens/families and therefore, probably suspect to intrusion by unsavory individuals.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but here's the Cosmo dog park in Gilbert AZ. It's built in the retention area of the 202 freeway next to Ray which is a huge arterial.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...4d-111.7350094
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 23 Jan 2014, 7:43 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Mar 2013, 6:57 PM
  3. Naming parks
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Feb 2010, 3:32 PM
  4. Dog parks
    Design, Space, and Place