Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Expiration of approved plans

Registered
    Dec 2001

Expiration of approved plans

Do you expire approved plans? We have a site plan that was approved and now the applicant wants to change everything a year later. They never built any of the improvements.

Also, does anyone charge for reviews in excess of some magic number? For applicants that just can't get through the process? Or expire applications that have been in for review but had zero response in 90 days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    By our ordinance, approved site plans expire after two years without obtaining a building permit. Preliminary master plans for PUDs expire after one year if the developer does not apply for final master plan approval.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Thanks!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Do you expire approved plans? We have a site plan that was approved and now the applicant wants to change everything a year later. They never built any of the improvements.

Yep. 180 days with no progress inspection. Implemented that pretty much the day I arrived, and pissed some people off royally.

Also, does anyone charge for reviews in excess of some magic number? For applicants that just can't get through the process? Or expire applications that have been in for review but had zero response in 90 days?

Yep. Application fee gets you two reviews. After that they have to repay the application fee. If your design professional lacks the ability to do quality assurance, either pay up with another fee or get a new design professional. I get especially assholish with this when I see comments get completely ignored in resubmission. I like this because it forces an awkward conversation between the design professional and his/her client. Since implementing this policy, quality of submissions has improved significantly.

We technically expire plans in process after 180 days without resubmission, but we are moving to 45 days dormant without resubmission. We will include ability to request a waiver to that deadline.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2002
    Our site plans expire one year after approval if the implementation of the final site plan has occurred. The Board may grant an extension.

Interestingly, our variances also expire. In this case, they become "null and void" unless work and/or occupancy has commenced within 180 days.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 03 Oct 2011, 10:08 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Oct 2007, 3:16 PM
  3. Permit expiration date
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 05 Dec 2005, 10:25 AM
  4. Automall is approved
    Land Use and Zoning