+ Reply to thread

Thread: Article - Rich SF residents get a shock: Someone bought their street

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Article - Rich SF residents get a shock: Someone bought their street

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/m...t-11738236.php

HIGHLIGHTS
    The coupleís purchase appears to be the culmination of a comedy of errors involving a $14-a-year property tax bill that the homeowners association failed to pay for three decades.
    Itís something that the owners of all 181 private streets in San Francisco are obliged to do.

As for the threat to charge them for parking, the residents suspect itís part of a pressure campaign by the couple to force the homeowners association to shell out big bucks to buy back the street.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Oh well. They should make sure their tax bill mailing address is up to date.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    As I commented on LinkedIn when someone posted the article: this is on my long list of why I really do not like private ways
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Good. I like it when rich folks get hammered by other rich people.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman GŲring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Ha!
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Here in the office we kicked the idea around if it was considered a taking, or not. We came to the conclusion that because the HOA (private org.) previously owned the street that it didn't really matter if the new owners were private. But there is some argument to be made that the HOA has public input through a board, adopted by-laws, etc., that make it more like a public agency than private - maybe that's the why/how HOAs are entrusted with maintaining residential access (?). I suppose it was up to the SF City/County to decide if the transfer of interest violated the affected residents' public access rights. It could be, though, that the residents retain an access easement on their deeds; so really, the only issue is which organization maintains the road and collects reasonable fees to do so. Ultimately, of course, it will be determined in court when (more likely if) the new owners start to gouge the residents with fees - excessive fees could constitute damages and then, arguable, a taking.

The more interesting discussion is why would someone would buy a private road from a HOA. I have to assume that either the property was distressed and they got it for pennies on the dollar and the transfer of interest settled debts and they expect a much higher value once settled - i.e. sell back to a new HOA for double their original investment; or, they plan on setting up paid on-street parking either hourly, monthly, or via permit. That way they could collect the money and really not do anything.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 May 2016, 10:16 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 May 2014, 6:06 PM
  3. NY Times article - Manhattan street grid
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Jan 2012, 9:29 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 May 2009, 7:10 PM