Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do you keep a nut list?

Registered
    Jul 1998

Do you keep a nut list?

I know this is not very sensitive, but does anyone keep a nut list? It used to be I could keep track of all of them, but as of today I am writing down a list. I don't know why, but the last couple of weeks have been one nut after another.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Mentally, I keep track of "difficult" people. Yes, I've encountered the usual crowd -- the senile old-timer that thinks they own the town because they've been here since 1928, the folks who come in to argue for the sake of arguing, consistent code violators, the militant LIbertarians, the race baiters, and so on.

When I delivered pizza in my undergrad years, the drivers used to keep track of the tipping patterns of various addresses, gpoing so far as to incorporate some primitive demographic analyses in the process. (Yes, pizza drivers do "profile.") What good did that list serve? UB students tipped well, Daemen students stiffed all the time, residents on a certain block in Amherst all send their kids to the door as a sneaky way of stiffing, and the elderly still think that 25 cents will buy a round trip streetcar ride downtown for you and your sweetie, where you can both catch a movie, get something to eat afterwards, and have enough left over to buy a new suit the next day. That's all good, but aside from tracking those patterns, the "profiling" really didn't accomplish anything.

What purpose would be served by keeping a written list of citizen nuts?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Two words: Call Display!

In my current job, I don't have a lot of interaction with the public...just consultants and such. In a way, I miss my first job, where I dealt with numerous traffic "experts".

Planning is an art, and everyone's an artist!

Registered
    Jul 1998

Do you keep a nut list?

Originally posted by Dan Tasman
    What purpose would be served by keeping a written list of citizen nuts?
    Two reasons really, It seems like my contact with them comes in spurts, so I kind of want to see if that is true, and if so is there at pattern to it. (maybe helpful for vacation scheduling).

Mainly though I want to keep track of the subject matter of why they are contacting me. Maybe I can serve them a little better that way. We get some that just want to talk to someone, and since there was no complaint it was not getting recorded.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    we don't have a "nut list" per se, but keep a whole filing drawer full of the folders for consistent violators so that their files are readily handy. And of course, everyone has on their mental rolodex the chronic psycotics that make their bi-monthly phone calls of insanely trivial complaints.

Registered
    Jul 1998

Do you keep a nut list?

Originally posted by KMateja
    And of course, everyone has on their mental rolodex the chronic psycotics that make their bi-monthly phone calls of insanely trivial complaints.
    My mental rolodex was overloaded with that stuff. It might be fun to toss out some of those fun complaints. I think I'll start a new thread.

     
    Registered
    Apr 1997

Do you keep a nut list?

Yeah - in this town we call it the White Pages.

Just kidding (well, maybe half kidding).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We do have the usual ones here, though they seem to mostly stay away from me. On the other hand, now that autumn is upon us we tend to leave the building doors propped open for some fresh air. Something about our building is irresistable to the neighborhood squirrels, who like to saunter in for a visit. It makes me think -- are the nuts in here?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Our office's nut list includes a few people that you only have to do is mention their first name and everyone knows who you are talking about. These people are almost as famous as Cher and Elvis.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    A "Nut List" is absolutely necessary in this job.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've never had a nut list other than in my head but I must say when I left my last job I wanted to leave a "beware of these" list for the person who followed after me.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. New list moderators
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Nov 2006, 10:21 PM
  2. BBQ Invitation Cut Off List
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 31 Jul 2006, 9:57 AM
  3. List of classes
    Student Commons