Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: From Construction Management to Urban Planning/Design....

Registered
    Aug 2017

From Construction Management to Urban Planning/Design....

Hi all, I recently went back to school to earn a masters in construction management. I have a bachelors in economics and haven't worked in the AEC industry at all. I am looking for a career change and urban planning and design has always interested me the most after taking a course in urban economics. Due to my career in business I chose CM because I had initially intended to go into construction but am wondering if I could give urban planning a try.

With a CM degree and some internships and experience in the AEC world for at least a couple years, could I transition into Urban Planning? Is it possible? I am also getting certifications in AutoCad and BIM as well if that helps. Any thoughts?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    (Public) Urban planners are, generally, policy-oriented legal/administrative staff. Here in CA they spend a lot of time doing environmental reports. I guess what I'm say is, if you're interested in construction, stick with what you're studying. Not only will you gain more tangible/marketable skills but you'll have a better occupational outlook. The downside is that you won't get exposed to 'planning'. Maybe consider doing an emphasis in urban planning or taking an intro to urban planning instead of switching completely.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 14 Feb 2014, 3:17 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Oct 2013, 8:57 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 May 2013, 6:18 AM
  4. From construction management to urban planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Sep 2007, 6:14 PM