Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Waiving sign permit fees

Registered
    Aug 2017

Waiving sign permit fees

I am a student intern for al municipality in California and am writing the Sign Ordinance update. Does anyone have experience or know of a city that does not have a fee associated with a sign permit? It has occurred to me that if our goal as a city is to promote local businesses and maintain aesthetics as a beach town, requiring a permit but not attaching a fee will help both of these goals. Local businesses have enough financial burdens and signs themselves are expensive. We only received maybe around 10 sign permit applications last year, so lost revenue for the city can easily be moved to some other planning permit. Just curious if anyone has experience with this, thanks you!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm in a rural area so we go easy on signs. I just list which signs are not regulated, meaning no permit or anything needed, just do it and which signs just don't need a permit. Pretty much any new commercial sign will require a low cost permit to make sure it's done right. My experience is that you charge some minimal amount or people just start thinking no permit is required. Even if you charge $10 you should charge something. It says, yes we're serious about permits, and yes we respect the idea that permits are a cost to businesses so we charge as little as we can.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2017
    That makes sense, however we are planning on reviewing if a business has a permitted sign when they renew their business license and requiring they submit an application and/or bring their signs into compliance prior to getting renewed. This would show we are serious about signs. I do agree at least lowering the cost would help as well.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    My permit is $50.00 a sign. If that makes or breaks your business, you should probably just close. Give an inch, take a mile man. You start waiving fees for these, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Our permit fees are limited to the reasonable costs of processing the permit. As a matter of policy, we have a low permit fee for signs ($100) which does not cover the processing costs, but the council does not want much a burden for businesses. As for just adding the lost revenue to some other fee, since our permit fees are limited to the reasonable costs of processing the permit we can not make it up elsewhere.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What are you fees for signs that don't wave?

Registered
    Aug 2017
    A little over $200.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    The idea that signs increase sales is a product of the sign industry to benefit the sign industry. If your business provides a great product/service at a fair price, customers will find you. Especially today with smart phones everywhere.

Waiving sign permit fees is a recipe for the worst visual clutter you can imagine.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Jan 2005

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Doohickie View post
    My nomination for the worst song of all time (except for "In the Year 2525," which is so far worse it is off the scale.)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Meh. I like it.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ryanjruss33 View post
    I am a student intern for al municipality in California and am writing the Sign Ordinance update. Does anyone have experience or know of a city that does not have a fee associated with a sign permit? It has occurred to me that if our goal as a city is to promote local businesses and maintain aesthetics as a beach town, requiring a permit but not attaching a fee will help both of these goals. Local businesses have enough financial burdens and signs themselves are expensive. We only received maybe around 10 sign permit applications last year, so lost revenue for the city can easily be moved to some other planning permit. Just curious if anyone has experience with this, thanks you!
    We have a really low cost application fee for new signs, but I do not think it has promoted higher-quality signs.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2015
    If you mess with fees, don't you want to make sure the budget still works? You probably want to do a fee study to see if you are over/under charging for your permits.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Waiving fees and churches
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 14 Nov 2016, 9:34 PM
  2. Typos in sign permit applications
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Jun 2009, 9:12 PM
  3. Administration / review / process Permit fees
    Land Use and Zoning