Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Selling current planning services to a small town

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Selling current planning services to a small town

Hello, I am looking for research or advice on selling planning services to a small town. I know this town has trouble with day-to-day planning administration (as the city manager does it), their Board of Adjustment approves all variances without exception, and their Planning Commission doesn't think long-term about the impact of their decisions.

What I am hoping to do is help them with what are very common problems in smaller towns that have growth but no formal planning staff. What I don't know is how to sell the idea of monthly services or a professional planner on retainer. The good thing is I am known around the area so I'm not selling me as a person but rather selling services to help them out.

Has anyone found success with this? Yes, I know budgets are tight and decision-makers don't know what they don't know, but I'd like to help them out even if I don't make any profit.

Thanks all!

I think the idea has merit and I've seen with building inspection services. I know of private firms that do that sort of thing. You end up being a contact employee. If you can string of couple of these together, you could make a living at it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The small town planning thread
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 08 Jul 2009, 1:58 PM
  2. Is small town planning bad for career?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 29 Sep 2004, 11:36 AM
  3. Small town planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jul 2004, 10:46 PM
  4. Small town planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Nov 1997, 2:33 PM
  5. Small town and rural planning