Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Codifying design and density

Registered
    Dec 2001

Codifying design and density

Can someone please explain a benefit of 45-ft lot with a single car garage in a commuter, stereotypical single family subdivision? Not rhetorical, I really want to hear the other side.

Does anyone have an example of design standards that minimize the garage fronts on narrow lots, so that one could maximize density? In my mind, and perhaps this is simplistic, a front loaded, single car garage doesn't magically erase cars from the front of the home, it simply puts them in the driveway or ensures they line streets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Here are the residential design guidelines my former employer in Chicagoland developed and implemented to 'manage' the teardowns/significant additions in established neighborhoods.

I don't necessarily see a benefit or detriment to such a lot design. I think this is simply a way for a developer to reduce costs per unit, but increase density to make more even more.

One car garages will not reduce cars, but simply put them in different locations at or near the house.

I think it would be good to try to get the developer to put the garage face secondary on the facade moving the garage mass into the mass of the living space instead of the common garage 'box' in front of the living space 'box' in terms of the floorplan. It's much easier/simpler to build two square boxes, one in front of the other.

A 45 foot lot width with minimal side setbacks (like min. 5 ft) could allow for a nice human oriented facade if the garage facade is placed at a subordinate plane. Good luck.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    thanks for the example - I think my issue right now is that the garage is either in line with the front facade or a bit snouty. That's going to look just as bad as whatever has been built by the lowest common denominator market for the last few decades.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Nov 2010, 3:51 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jan 2008, 12:06 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Nov 2007, 4:45 PM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last post: 12 Mar 2006, 8:23 AM