Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP Certification

Registered
    Oct 2013

AICP Certification

Hey everyone!

I am currently in the process of sending in my application for the AICP certification, I was wondering if anyone has worked on this and would be willing to share?

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2005
    You'll find a lot of posts about this already exist. But be sure to consider that the exam has changed since a lot of discussion about it happened on this forum:

https://www.planetizen.com/node/9089...m-changes-2017

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm a peer reviewer for the AICP application process. I've looked at a couple hundred applications at this point. My best advice is to systematically follow the candidate guide for your responses to the three criteria. Focus on your role. Don't overthink your responses. Don't make assumptions that we have any knowledge of the project or process you are describing, because we don't work at your employer. Be direct in your responses.

One common mistake I've seen: candidates think they need to use different examples for each criterion. You can use the same example, just discussing different aspects of it. You could easily have a single example that allows you to discuss how you applied a planning process appropriate to a situation, allows you to demonstrate employment of a comprehensive point of view (remember, not just that you were comprehensive, but how use of a comprehensive point of view affected outcomes), and allows you to demonstrate how you influenced public decision making in the public interest. It doesn't have to be a fancy example, either. Some of the best responses I've reviewed have essentially been everyday zoning change requests.

EDIT: Skip the fluffy prose language in your response. Put your brain in "technical memo" mode like you would a staff report. Also, by and large, we do not care what other people in your department were doing unless it is specifically relevant to your response. I once reviewed a response in which 1-2 sentences described the AICP applicant's role, and the rest of the rambling 400+ word response talked about what everyone else in the department was doing on the project.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 25 Sep 2017 at 6:16 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    ^good information!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Verification of AICP certification
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 26 Nov 2013, 3:32 PM
  2. AICP specialty certification
    Career Development and Advice