Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So much for work today....

Registered
    Dec 2001

So much for work today....

Well I guess I'm not getting much done today. Christams Eve tradition is to bring your kids to work with you for the couple hours we are here.

Let's just say there are alot of kids "running" around here...and a pooch.

Have a great holiday everyone...Christmas, Kwaanza, Hanukah, Festivus, whatever it is you celebrate

And how could I forget Boxing Day for all you Canucks...

Registered
    Oct 2000
    That's actually pretty cool, especially for all the parents who have kids that are out of school today. We are on skeleton crew today - and it is S L O W. I don't imagine too much work will get done today.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I think im the only person here, not being christian im happy to work so others can spend time with their families-ill take my time off in the winter and go some where warm

I wanna bring my doggies to work-they act better than many of the kids

Enjoy!
    PG
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Merry Christmas! I have a houseful of kids - friends are always welcome, and we'll be busy here today with cooking, a final trip to the electronics store, and wrapping the last few gifts. Have a peaceful and safe holiday.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I've already had the holiday loonie in. A guy with questions about subdividing land and rights of way and land locked parcels and other funny items.

Why is it that people who come to the office on short days always have the weirdest cases?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    All the best to you guys. Working til noon today, cleaning the office etc...

Kids will be jacked up tonight. Wife and I have a lolad of wrapping and setting up for Santa.

Looks like some of us will get a White Christmas, Kel maybe you right?

Rain here in Virginia for Danie and me I think.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    We've got a weather advisory here - 1 - 2 feet of snow tonight through tomorrow. So glad our travelling is all done - people are so retarded about snow driving. sigh. but it will be so nice to have a white christmas.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have weather advisories here, too, but the news is non committal about the depth of snowfall. I've heard more about sleet than snow. That can give us an excuse not to run around too much tonight.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'm taking a half day, then going to the gym. I think I'm probably going to get my office back in order, but that's the extent of work today.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM HATCHER!!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    awwwww!!

ive never had a white christmas so even to see it falling and not stick will be wild for me. though id rather it not happen at all

snow is yucky
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 1998

THE RULES OF WINTER DRIVING

Originally posted by KMateja
    We've got a weather advisory here - 1 - 2 feet of snow tonight through tomorrow. So glad our travelling is all done - people are so retarded about snow driving. sigh. but it will be so nice to have a white christmas.

THE RULES OF WINTER DRIVING

RULE #1: Before you even get in the car, wipe off the roof, the hood, the trunk, your headlights, and your turn signal lights, so that snow isn't covering them. Your windshield, side windows, and rear window need to be scraped and clear of ice and snow before you get out on the road. Yes, if this means letting the car run for 10 minutes in the driveway, with the defogger grid and defroster blower and heat going full blast, then so be it. If you come out of your driveway with your car looking like it's part of a scene in a shake-'em-up snow globe, your car will be impounded and your license suspended until April.

RULE #2: If it's snowing, turn on your headlights. In fact, if it has snowed in the past 48 hours, or if skies are gray and even LOOK like it's going to snow, turn on your headlights. I don't know why people are so damned RESISTANT to switching on their headlights when the weather is foul. I think some people believe it's going to drain their battery, or maybe hurt their gas mileage. Or, maybe some people are thinking, "I have a nice white car, everybody should be able to see me just fine without my headlights." Well, lightless ladies and grayed-out gentlemen, snow is ALSO white, and with a heavy snow coming down on a snow-covered street, you're pretty much flipping INVISIBLE. So, turn on your headlights! Or, your car will be impounded and your license suspended until April.

RULE #3: If you're approaching an uphill grade, observe the hill. Are there vehicles stopped mid-way up the hill? Worse yet, are there vehicles slipping at all angles on the shoulder of the hill? If the answer to either question is 'Yes', you need to CAREFULLY CONSIDER your chances of successfully making it to the top of that hill and thereby not join those who do not make it successfully to the top of the hill. They will be having their cars impounded and their licenses suspended until April.
    This seems so simple and obvious to me -- why would you even start your way up a slippery hill when a vehicle or line of traffic is standing between you and your destination at the top? I guess it's people's sheep-like nature -- "I have to follow. I have to be in that line of traffic half-way up the hill. I don't care if they are sliding backwards down the hill, I want to join them in the process." I'm telling you, impoundings and suspensions for all who proceed without having a clear shot to the top.

RULE #4: A word about speed. As the news broadcasters say, "Slow down". There is no need to go 65 on the highway in a blinding snowstorm. You should be happy just to be going 40. That's good enough. If you are passing 90% of the vehicles you encounter on the road in snow conditions, you're going too fast.
    On the same token, though, if you are on a road that has been plowed and salted, and the posted speed limit is 45, and you are going 20 miles per hour (with your lights off, no doubt), and there is a 30-car-length gap in front of you, and there are 17 cars packed up tight behind you, you're going too slow.
    Too fast or too slow, I don't care -- your car will be impounded and your license suspended until April.

RULE #5: When you approach a curve on a slippery road, the time to jam on your brakes in panic is not DURING your negotiation of the curve! In fact, you shouldn't EVER be jamming on your brakes in the snow. The proper thing to do is to ANTICIPATE the curve, take your foot off the accelerator if you feel you are going too fast, perhaps depress the brake softly a couple of times PRIOR to your reaching the curve, then negotiate the turn without braking. If you can't handle this simple concept of planning ahead, then just turn in your car and license. You'll get them back in April, after the snow is gone.

RULE #6a: If you have 4-wheel drive (that is designed for road speeds), please engage it when the roads are covered in slush, snow, and ice. A local sport-utility vehicle owner here in Delaware, Colleen Healey, admitted in the newspaper, "I've never engaged my four wheel drive." Now, before you work on controlling the urge to strangle Ms. Healey, let me also say that she is the spokeswoman for the American Automobile Association's (AAA) Mid-Atlantic division! Talk about the Peter Principle!
    Four wheel drive helps all of your tires provide traction when you encounter slippery spots in the road. So, why not use it if you've got it? A snowstorm is exactly the condition for which 4WD was designed.

RULE #6b: This is a companion rule to #6a. Just because you have an SUV, and just because you have the 4-wheel drive engaged, this doesn't mean that you are now appointed the "Fearless King of all Roads Snowy" and you have the right to drive with your windows all iced up and fogged over, your headlights off, spinning out on hills you didn't properly evaluate, going too fast, and braking through curves in the road. Your SUV doesn't give you these rights. It's just as easy to impound your SUV as if it were a sedan, and your license will be just as easy to suspend until April.

RULE #7: This final rule applies in all weather. The left lane is designed for traffic anticipating a left turn or left exit, and for vehicles wishing to pass traffic in the right lane. The right lane is for traffic moving at normal and slower-than-normal speeds, and for vehicles anticipating a right turn or right exit. If you are just cruising along in the left lane at speeds below the posted limit, and you are not anticipating a left turn or exit, you have 5 seconds to move to the right lane where you belong, or your vehicle will be impounded and your license . . . well, you know the drill.

(The American Cynic 12/23/2002)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think it'd be hilarious if it snowed in Phoenix tonight. These crazy people are bundled up like it's freezing outside, it feels like 40-50. Wimps!

(How's that for Christmas spirit?)
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Well it is 11:35 local time and I am gone for the next week or so. I'll probably pop in when I start suffering from withdrawal.

Have a safe and happy holiday.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    I'm taking a half day, then going to the gym. I think I'm probably going to get my office back in order, but that's the extent of work today.

Tex! He's so big!

Our plans for today:
    12:00 - out of work
    1:00 - go to gym, make futile pre-emptive strike at calories that will be consumed in the next two days
    4:00 - go to mass
    6:00 - go to holiday pajama party at rob's aunts and blow all the calories burned on 8 million cosmopolitians i will imbibe to insulate myself against the crushing boredom and mellow my urges to throttle his other aunt when she gets going on her inevitable anti-gays/immigrants/chinese/blacks/you name the group that isn't white, polish-catholic, middle class. sigh.
    2:00 am - stumble into the door, snuggle with the poochies and rob and pass out.

I'm being rewarded with lots and lots of presents tomorrow if i behave myself tonight. woo hoo!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Headed out...

I have Dirty Rice to make for the X-mas potluck at 11:30.

Then home! Wooooo hoooo!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Got called away for a Trivial Pursuit game at 10:30. Now ... I'm outta' here!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001

ticking clock

Well, we started with 11, then like a space shuttle launch it's been counting down. Had a visit from the Head Cheese (Mayor) but well......that's another story.

North of Seattle and the liquid sunshine keeps coming down. White Christmas......

Toys galore.....scattered on the floor.....there's no room for more and it's all because of Santa Claus.

A scooter for Jimmy, a dolly for Sue, the kind that will even say "How do you do???".....When Christmas Day is here, the most wonderful day of the year........

I'm Mr Green Christmas, I'm Mr. Sun. I'm Mr. Heat Blister, I'm Mr. Hundred and One.
    They call me Heat Miser, what ever I touch starts to melt in my clutch, I'm to much.................

Right.....so the eggnog is really kicking in......what's a boy to do??
    I wonder if birds know it's Tuesday?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: ticking clock

Originally posted by smarty

I'm Mr Green Christmas, I'm Mr. Sun. I'm Mr. Heat Blister, I'm Mr. Hundred and One.
    They call me Heat Miser, what ever I touch starts to melt in my clutch, I'm to much.................

My favorite Christmas character of all time... too bad they don't show it anymore!

Happy Christmas everyone!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    OMG that dog looks like a holy terror!!!!

Registered
    Dec 2001

heat miser

Nerudite:

They showed it a few times on the ABC Family Channel, they showed all kinds of old Christmas shows that I didn't think were aired anymore.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by donk
    Why is it that people who come to the office on short days always have the weirdest cases?
    For some reason, when I was working in Florida the times around holidays, and official holidays when we still had to work (President's Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day) were the busiest.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: heat miser

Originally posted by seannelson
    They showed it a few times on the ABC Family Channel, they showed all kinds of old Christmas shows that I didn't think were aired anymore.
    A Christmas Story is the only Christmas movie you need to watch.

"You'll poke your eye out!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    Around here - especially today - its the "gotta stop in and pay my property taxes, and while I'm there I might as well ask that planner about [insert stupid thing]."

Our treasurer's office takes in about 25% of our annual receipts today. UGG. *Must stay on my end of hall*

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Re: heat miser

Originally posted by Dan

A Christmas Story is the only Christmas movie you need to watch.

"You'll poke your eye out!"
    BAH! It's "You'll SHOOT your eye out, kid."

The camera angles and lenses on the Santa Clause scene are classic... and, of course, the bunny suit.

"He looks like a demented Easter Bunny!"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm on vacation this week (sorry!); unfortunately, another divison of my government employer is doing a project on a road/canal next to my house. Their contractor is waking me up at 7 a.m. with the heavy equipment, his guys are tossing trash all over my lot, using my mom's pump house (she lives around the corner from us) as a urinal, and getting totally tanked on the job. The county guys in charge keep telling the contractor to cut the crap. Am I bad because I called my county commissioner to complain? It would almost be better to be at work this week to avoid this.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Aug 2008, 8:26 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last post: 10 Apr 2004, 4:40 PM
  3. Replies: 49
    Last post: 23 Apr 2003, 10:26 AM
  4. I'm not getting any work done today
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18