Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad ... here's your present from SATAN Claus :(

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad ... here's your present from SATAN Claus :(

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...23/1033257.asp

The Rodriguezes are among hundreds of homeowners in North Amherst reporting problems with their homes sinking. The houses were built on a crust of hard clay that floats atop a layer of underground muck, according to one expert. Some of this muck holds so much water, it has the consistency of peanut butter, according to contractor Benjamin Stroyer.

My parents live smack in the middle of the dark green zone shown on the map in the article.

Nothing wrong with my parents' house yet, but they do have a sump pump which has been running once an hour since they bought their house in 1992. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing happens to their suburban dream ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Oh my god! how did the developers get by doing soil borings? That completely sucks. We have a sorta similar case where this neighborhood was having off the charts methane readings in their houses - apparantly, when the site was being cut and filled, the developer just plowed over the scrub brush, which is totally allowable, as it is natural fill. but the soil was heavy heavy clay, the organic matter began to deteriorate and follow strata lines into people's basements. Before they could figure out what the problem was, our town spent $300K on 24 hour monitoring and digging. These people didn't even want to buy a $2K venting system, or even as a quick fix, a $6 bottle of caulk - they demanded the town pay for and do everything. sigh.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I hope their house turns out ok....

Or on the other hand, they may be better off getting out.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Solano County Love Canal

There is a town south of here (Benicia, California) where portions of the town's largest subdivision (Southhampton) was built atop toxic ooze from a former landfill. Black goo has over the years been oozing into the poor people's back yards. Like our own Mini-Love Canal.

Registered
    Oct 2000

Re: Solano County Love Canal

Originally posted by BKM
    There is a town south of here (Benicia, California) where portions of the town's largest subdivision (Southhampton) was built atop toxic ooze from a former landfill. Black goo has over the years been oozing into the poor people's back yards. Like our own Mini-Love Canal.
    We went to a wedding in Benicia last year- such a cute little town!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Merry Christmas 2011
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Dec 2011, 7:28 AM
  2. Merry Christmas Everyone !!!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 27 Dec 2005, 9:02 PM
  3. Merry Christmas!
    Friday Afternoon Club