Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Drive-through lane signs

Registered
    Jul 2003

Drive-through lane signs

What is your jurisdiction's regulations concerning menu board signs located at drive-through lanes? Do you have separate requirements or does it constitute one of your permitted monument signs?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We don't regulate them as they are treated as "instructional signage" and exempt from our sign code.

Though, I have worked for two munis that had specific regulations for them in the sign code.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    We don't regulate them as they are treated as "instructional signage" and exempt from our sign code.

Though, I have worked for two munis that had specific regulations for them in the sign code.
    What is your definition of "instructional signage?"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind View post
    What is your definition of "instructional signage?"
    INSTRUCTIONAL SIGN. "Instructional Sign" means a sign that has a purpose secondary to the use on the lot and that is intended to instruct employees, customers, or users as to matters of public safety or necessity such as specific parking requirements, the location or regulations pertaining to specific activities on the site or in the building, and including a sign erected by a public authority, utility, public service organization, or private industry that is intended to control traffic; direct, identify or inform the public; or provide needed public service as determined by the rules and regulations of governmental agencies or through public policy. Such sign shall contain the minimum information and be of the minimum area and height necessary to convey its intended message, and shall be located so as not to attract attention from the perimeter of the site.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    My last city regulated them. I don't remember the exact numbers, but something like 3 panels max, 24 sqft of sign area (the menu part only, not the total board).
    Here we ignore any sign that is not oriented to roadside traffic. It lets me ignore all the instructional signs.

The hard part, with the new court ruling I would question if we can label instructional signs based on the content. That's why I went for signs not intended to be read by adjacent street traffic - pedestrian traffic is not an issue hear.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    If they are directed to on-site customers we don't regulate.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    We do not have any specific regulations, but as part of the initial drive through site design process, we work to ensure that the orientation allows any future menu board sign to face away from the street frontage.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 20 Jan 2015, 5:42 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 8:04 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2009, 1:44 PM
  4. Lane Dividers?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 Nov 2004, 3:12 PM