Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: CDBG funded positions

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010

CDBG funded positions

I'm curious to know, given the current status of CDBG as a zeroed-out program in the President's draft budget, whether folks here would be leery of taking a role that is CDBG funded. My situation is that my current position is funded mostly with CDBG dollars. I have been offered a position of elevated stature in another community, that pays better and would be a clear career progression and professional development opportunity for me. It is also CDBG funded. I asked during the interview process if the City views this position as essential enough to fund it with general funds, or another alternative, if CDBG is ultimately eliminated. The Assistant City Manager responded and seemed certain that the position would be funded even if CDBG was terminated.

So my thinking is not to really focus on the "is CDBG going to die?" question that is hanging over my head. If this other position is a clear opportunity to advance myself, I should take it. My other option would be to stay put in a position that is also reliant on CDBG, although I have a track-record here and feel more confident that the City would go out of its way to keep me. Does anyone else have thoughts on this and I'd be curious to know if others are going through the same quandary (in some form or fashion).

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Tough call. One I can't make. Both jobs are reliant on CDBG which would tell me to go for it, but like you said, if it's defunded the current job seems more likely to keep you around. I would be flip flopping between conservative me and ambitious me if I had to make this choice. I would ask the other city how long they've had the position funded to reassure me they would want to keep it around. Also, how much of the job is reliant on CDBG grant work or is that just how they funded it. If your work goes away, your job goes with it. If it's like some of the police grants where you get an extra officer paid for a couple years it's more likely they'll keep funding you. How soon do you think this wonderful administration will take to making some budget changes? They can't seem to get much of anything going. At the same time, no one is really fighting for CDBG. They're too busy fighting over health care funding. Another question, is there any local legislation that will make budgeting more difficult for the new job. My county and every county in the state got hit with a tax lid so our budgets are hell. A job like yours might be one of the first to go if we can't find funding.

Too many concerns, but I'll go with that ambitious me and say go for it and hope for the best.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2002
    Absolutely you should go for it. CDBG is not going away. Oh, it may change and it probably should but there is no way that program will be funded out of existence. Never give up a chance to raise your skill level, your profile and yes, your income. More of everything is always better when you're searching for the next job.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Aug 2003
    I agree with MDPlanner - CDBG will change but it won't go away (as much as some would like to see). The better job, greater experience, and more pay are too much to pass up. Go for it and good luck!
    The old women used to say you could tell the next day’s weather, by whether you could hear the highway or the railroad at night. I recall that they were right more often than not.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    Never give up a chance to raise your skill level, your profile and yes, your income. More of everything is always better when you're searching for the next job.
    Is it, though? What if more of everything included more work, more stress, a worse commute, worse work-life balance, etc? What if you've had "more" in the past and decide to deliberately downgrade in order to get something more balanced?

A huge chunk of the agency I work for is CDBG-funded, so a CDBG program elimination would be apocalyptic for us, and, in all reality, for the planning profession in the US at large.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    Is it, though? What if more of everything included more work, more stress, a worse commute, worse work-life balance, etc? What if you've had "more" in the past and decide to deliberately downgrade in order to get something more balanced?

A huge chunk of the agency I work for is CDBG-funded, so a CDBG program elimination would be apocalyptic for us, and, in all reality, for the planning profession in the US at large.
    I was really speaking of "more" in the sense of things that make you a better candidate. The decisions one makes with respect to workload, commute etc. are personal and need to be weighed against other gains obviously.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Grant funded positions and job security
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Apr 2011, 9:04 PM
  2. CDBG positions
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Mar 2010, 11:10 AM
  3. Privately funded mass transit?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 14 Mar 2008, 9:22 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Feb 2008, 2:34 PM
  5. How should NU common areas be funded?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Jul 2000, 10:17 PM