Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Does your town/city/county/state offer tuition reimbursement?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Does your town/city/county/state offer tuition reimbursement?

The city I was working for in 2007 dropped tuition reimbursement just after the recession. I completed my MPA at Indiana State in 2015 ($19,000 later). The city revived reimbursement in 2016 with not retroactive clause . My Planner II has started MPA classes through an in-state school and I need to get a budget request in for FY 2018-19 to provide reimbursement. What does your jurisdiction require? Mine is fairly limited to at least a 2.0 with a degree. I assume a contract will be part of this with repayment if leaving employment within a few years and additional requirements potentially written into the contract. The policy manual does not indicate a percentage of reimbursement so I suspect that will also be written into the contract.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    The state government I work for has a very (very!) meager tuition reimbursement program that is at the discretion (whim?) of your department's management. I went through my MPA program at night while working full time and the best I got was some informal time flexibility with my supervisor - that's it. Because that policy wasn't recession-dependent, I don't think it's improved since then. I remain envious of any public agency that will pay for their employees' advancement because, in my experience, it's super rare.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    My county offers it at the department level. I don't require much other than the course to be related to the work we're doing, which can be stretched, and you need a B or better grade. The problem is that it comes out of my budget and I don't always have an extra $1k to spend on that. We try to plan it out ahead of time.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We have a really good reimbursement policy at the City level for local universities. 50% tuition coverage, very few conditions. A great recruiting tool given that there is a local policy/planning program.
    Don't read the comments section. You want to, but don't do it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The county I work for has tuition reimbursement with a max of $1,000 a semester for most any type of course from accredited schools (except JD/PhD coursework). It comes out of the general HR budget and is budgeted as a benefits expense and not out of the department budgets. The max can change if the county commissioners vote to do so (IIRC, it was $600 a semester when I first started working here) and I think the amount sort of corresponds to what it would cost for two courses at the local community college.

You must receive at least a 2.0 in the course and there is no clause stipulating that it must be paid back if you leave your position within XXX amount of time.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    The last agency I worked for covered $5,000 per year up to a total of $25,000 lifetime. And if annual tuition exceeded 5K, they let you essentially apply the next year's allotment retroactively. A really great benefit.

This was conditioned on satisfactory completion of coursework. I think A-B grades were reimbursed 100%, B-C grades 85% (or something - don't actually recall the amounts).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Oct 2017, 3:05 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 28 Mar 2008, 9:27 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Jul 2007, 8:22 PM
  4. Replies: 50
    Last post: 24 May 2005, 12:16 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Mar 2005, 8:20 PM