Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Greetings from Fairbanks, Alaska!

Registered
    Oct 2017

Greetings from Fairbanks, Alaska!

Hello!

I decided to join this forum because me and my brother are very involved in our local bureau assembly and there is a fascinating new opportunity for improving and densifying our remote, weird, ~badly~ planned city coming up. We are working together on some tentative zoning suggestions based on what the initial plots look like.

Anyhow, I'll save the details of the project for another thread.

About me: I'm in no way a professional in the field. I study foreign languages and am a professional musician. I also am the music director of my local college radio station and I'm a "sound-guy" for the student pub. But I am a huge urban planning geek...or perhaps...enthusiast...and an avid reader of a lot of literature about the subject. I would say my main motivation is trying to figure out how to encourage organic development of moderately dense, culturally vibrant, and entrepreneurial areas. I have a belief that our city needs to properly prepare for another wave of expansion in the coming decades, implementing smarter zoning so we don't continue down the road we've gone so far.

Anyhow, I will be posting a thread with the details of my project and some of my ideas. What I hope is that the expertise of this forum will be able to give me good guidance as to how to go about my ideas.

Cheers.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! We have all stripes around here, so don't worry about not being in the field. Hang out, ask questions, and get to know everyone.

Glad to have you.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Hello from Kansas! We like having unprofessional planners around or people who aren't planners, or whatever. Stick around and tell us more about Alaska.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Welcome from the mid-coast of Maine!
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome, more the merrier.

Post early, post often.

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! We have all stripes around here, so don't worry about not being in the field. Hang out, ask questions, and get to know everyone.

Glad to have you.

Hink,

Where do you live in, Ohio? Toledo for me.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 23 Aug 2016, 7:47 PM
  2. Hi from Alaska
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 26 Nov 2006, 3:23 PM
  3. Why Alaska is NOT going to hell!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 10 Oct 2006, 10:10 PM