Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thanksgiving 2017

Registered
    Feb 2004

Thanksgiving 2017

One can tell something is not entirely normal. Must either be a natural disaster I missed and everyone has already evacuated or maybe it's the day before a holiday, because I'd estimate there were 60% fewer cars on the road during my drive to work this morning than is usually the case.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Well the big metal yellow boxes on wheels with kids inside were not blocking traffic this morning.

Going to the in-laws on Turkeyday & my aunt/uncle's place on Saturday.

My in-laws are making ham & chicken dumplings for T'giving. They voided turkey this year I think partly because of issues from previous years - fried turkey burnt to hell, dry roasted turkey, cajun turkey that was raw in the middle, smoked turkey where BIL used way too much liquid smoke...stuff like that.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Parking lot half empty - shared with school that is out.

yes there seems to be fewer cars on the road - just this morning but be worse in afternoon ?

Thanksgiving dinner will be at the hospital with family whose daughter has been in the ICU & several surgeries since last wednesday.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Parking lot half empty - shared with school that is out.
    When did this become a thing? Yes, our schools are closed today too. When I was a lad Thanksgiving was a 4 day weekend. Wonder when/why they decided to make it a 5 day break when there is so much pressure now on schools to offer MORE instruction
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The four private schools right by my house are closed all week so traffic was already lighter than normal this week and today the public schools are closed. It was nice!

I stopped at the grocery store on my way into the office to get yogurt and a banana and it was already packed at 7:30 a.m. Our local Kroger is tiny and the parking lot for the small, but busy, shopping center it's in is already pretty small so there are times this week (and the week before Christmas) where they routinely run out of parking. I've had to park in the residential area right behind the store more than once. I generally walk to the store if I am not buying enough to necessitate the car but on the times I've had to park in the neighborhood I feel like I'm Homer Simpson when he leaves for work, fights terrible traffic and has to park in the very last parking spot at the nuclear plant and he gets out of the car and he's right next to his backyard.

We are going to my parents house for Thanksgiving. My sister was trying to get us to host at our house this year but I really had no desire to do that. I told my mom and dad that if they really wanted, we could do it but my mom said no and that she looks forward to hosting it every year.

My wife's cousin is staying with us while she comes out from Colorado to visit her family. She stays with us a few times a year and even though I find her incredibly annoying, I've gotten used to her. However, she usually rents a car when she visits but in an attempt to save some money, she isn't this time (she had to make a bunch of extra trips out here earlier this year when her dad was sick and dying) so my wife is driving down to the airport to pick her up this evening and then taking her back to the airport early early Sunday morning, but since I am an early riser in general, I have a feeling I am going to get suckered into that one. At least I don't have to pick her up tonight - the last place I want to be is the airport on the night before Thanksgiving.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our boss sends us home sometime early this afternoon.
    Last edited by WSU MUP Student; 22 Nov 2017 at 9:19 AM.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I’m cooking the bulk of the meal and taking it to my Mom’s house where others will bring the sides and desserts. Then I’ll go home and be thankful that I’m by myself.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    When did this become a thing? Yes, our schools are closed today too. When I was a lad Thanksgiving was a 4 day weekend. Wonder when/why they decided to make it a 5 day break when there is so much pressure now on schools to offer MORE instruction
    Ours have been out the whole week. Traffic was light on the way to work for me as well. The weather for us is quite nice. Quite day in the office so far.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2006
    Im going to go all Woke on my family this thanksgiving and go on a long rant about how America was stolen from the First Peoples, how the Pilgrims were white supremacists and that Jesus is coming back to destroy Donald Trump. Should be fun!!!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I'm jealous. It took me an extra 45 minutes to get to work because of some poorly located accident on the only route south out of town. I guess that's what you get for living on the coast.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'd estimate there were 60% fewer cars on the road during my drive to work this morning than is usually the case.
    Dismiss this. At lunch I would estimate the traffic as being 60% heavier than usual. Go figure

WYP's day is done. Y'all have a safe and blessed holiday.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Happy Thanksgiving, y'all. I'm receiving Thanksgiving text greetings from commissioners, colleagues, and family. I like this holiday.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I left my favorite hat at my parents house.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I spent Thanksgiving Diner with a family (kinda, lika, sorta adopted family) whose daughter has been in the ICU since the wednesday week before thanksgiving.
    Pretty aggressive treatment.
    Lots of tears & prayers.
    I experienced what a family crisis looks & feels & acts out like.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hosted my wife's family at our new house this Thanksgiving - only hitch was my SIL and her family (who are notorious for showing up over an hour late to everything) arriving early - we told them 10 am so there was a chance of them being at the house by 11:30, and they arrived at about 9:40 am...while I was still shaving. Mrs. Bubba managed to keep them corralled downstairs, thankfully. We cheated with the turkey and ordered a smoked one from a local BBQ joint; turned out to be a great call.

Reports from my side of the family weren't so great as to their turkey day. My aging parents and my sister drove about an hour over to one of my aunt's house for lunch, and my mother (Alzheimer's) did not do well at all. Looks like this Christmas is probably going to be the last family get-together she does any sort of travelling for.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Just finished taking Thanksgiving and the extra Monday off. Mom came down to visit. Now I'm left with two really spoiled and exhausted children.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Here is where I spent Thanksgiving

Here is the view I had on Thanksgiving:

“The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Here is the view I had on Thanksgiving:

Wow, where is that, Oslo? Stockholm? Looks nice.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

LOL Oslo.....good one....

Patong Beach, Phuket Thailand
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Patong Beach, Phuket Thailand
    Dang it, I had Reykjavik in the Cyburbia betting pool.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Dang it, I had Reykjavik in the Cyburbia betting pool.
    You did see the palm trees in the photo right?
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I just want to scream Phuket.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Halloween 2017
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 50
    Last post: 02 Nov 2017, 12:54 PM
  2. Real estate/MSRED 2017 MSRED
    Student Commons
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 04 Jul 2017, 1:55 AM
  3. School: USC MPL at USC for Fall 2017
    Student Commons