Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Things you cant buy in Canada

Registered
    May 2006

Things you cant buy in Canada

Living between both countries, there are allot of things you can find in Canada you dont find here and vice-versa. Here are some of my favs in terms of consumer goods and general trends observed:

Things you can find in Canada, but not the US:

-Kinder Egg's
    -Dark Chocolate Kit Kats
    -A 2007-2015 Volvo XC70 with a manual transmission
    -A new Subaru Outback with a manual transmission
    -Acura branded Honda Civic's
    -French language media
    -Unisoya brand Tofu
    -Boreale beer
    -Guru Energy Drinks
    -Rise brand Kombucha
    -A rubber wheeled metro system
    -Universal healthcare
    -Montreal
    -A true societal embrace of multiculturalism
    -No parts of the Country where it is never not-Cold in winter (except for Vancouver, kinda sorta)
    -A culture of public arts financing that is more accessible to independent/underground artists/musicians
    -Rampant passive aggressiveness and higher percentages of extremely introverted people
    -Real Montreal smoked meat

Things found in the United States, but not Canada:

-Dunkin donuts
    -Cheaper cell phone plans
    -Less taxes (but only if your income exceeds $75,000, us po' folks get a better deal in Canada)
    -Shaefer Beer
    -Marlboro cigs (before I quit for good, my brand was Marlboro 27)
    -Waffle House
    -AICP
    -Subway systems older than 1954
    -Financial Scam companies like Quicken Loans
    -More lax Automobile licencing and vehicle safety inspections
    -Rampant Jingoism
    -Less passive-aggressive people and more outgoing, friendly people in general (whether it is Southern hospitality or New Yorker's being nicer than you expected)
    -Seattle
    -Better Indie labels
    -Parts of the country where it never gets cold
    -More cool older cars on the road in milder climates, more common to find people driving older cars in general.

Anyone make similar observation in cross border travel?

No gallon or half gallon milk jugs. Everything is in bags. When we were camping in Ontario a couple of years ago, I had to buy a couple of special pitchers and funnel just to store the stuff. It was hard to store unopened plastic bags in the cooler when camping. I would always cut it the wrong way and end up spilling more on the picnic table that what would make it into the jug. Luckily I remembered to bring a half-liter plastic milk jug with along with me, so once it was in the pitcher, I could just pour it in.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    In Canada, one can order poutine.

In the US, one can order ribs with Carolina BBQ sauce:

In Canada one can buy flyswatters at a tire store http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fl...-0593612p.html

In the US one can buy rat poison at a grocery store https://www.meijer.com/t3/garden-pat...37/T3-1033.uts
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Don't know about America's hat, but down here you can buy great stuff like Cincinnati Chili
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Though living in New England, we always opt for Cincinnati chili

I love the list - love Montreal!
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    In Canada one can buy bacon flavored crackers off the store shelf for cheap....

In the US one cannot buy bacon flavored crackers off the store shelf at any price.

In the US one can buy a gallon of gas

In Canada one can buy a liter of gas
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    In Canada one can buy bacon flavored crackers off the store shelf for cheap....

In the US one cannot buy bacon flavored crackers off the store shelf at any price.

In Canada one can buy a liter of gas
    Wow, that's a pretty high price, Maister. I wonder how old that pic is. It's a lot lower now, at least in Ontario.

When we went to Ontario in June 2014, it was around $1.35/litre on average, the highest in years. That's over well over $5/gallon. The U.S Dollar was barely above par, the weakest in over a year. The next year when we went, it was down to about $1.15/litre, and the U.S. dollar was about 20 cents stronger against the Canadian Dollar. Today, looking at Gas Buddy's website, Ontario averages about $1.20/litre. But in some places, it is down to about $1.00

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well

All I know is that I can buy Kenya Tusker Lager beer in Canada but NOT the USA
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Though living in New England, we always opt for Cincinnati chili
    Off-topic:
    Do you buy cans of Skyline Chili at the grocery store? (we can locally, but they're a bit pricey)

Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    Wow, that's a pretty high price, Maister. I wonder how old that pic is. It's a lot lower now, at least in Ontario.
    You got me. I intentionally chose the highest price per litre image I could find.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    Do you buy cans of Skyline Chili at the grocery store? (we can locally, but they're a bit pricey)

You got me. I intentionally chose the highest price per litre image I could find.
    We can buy Skyline chili in cans and from the freezer. I buy the frozen chili. It’s a little pricey, but I can get two meals from it if I want.

My mom always put spaghetti in chili. So did my friend’s mother. I’m from Louisville and she grew up across the river. Adding spaghetti must be a regional thing, but my mom doesn’t add cinnamon.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    We can buy Skyline chili in cans and from the freezer. I buy the frozen chili. It’s a little pricey, but I can get two meals from it if I want.

My mom always put spaghetti in chili. So did my friend’s mother. I’m from Louisville and she grew up across the river. Adding spaghetti must be a regional thing, but my mom doesn’t add cinnamon.
    I live across the river. My ex makes it with spaghetti and cinnamon.

It's supposed to get cold next weekend, so I'm thinking of making a white chili in my new crock-pot. We'll see.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Quote Originally posted by kms View post

When I was living up North Skyline was starting to franchise. The last place I worked up there, in the Indianapolis area, they had a Skyline restaurant. You could also buy it frozen. I think it is a regional thing. Where I'm from originally, they didn't have it.

I always like either Skyline or Gold Star. I also like Graeter's ice cream.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Canada
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Feb 2015, 8:05 AM
  2. Happy Canada Day/Fete du Canada
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 9:04 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 8:41 AM