Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Cap'n Crunch (and other kids cereal) thread

Registered
    Feb 2004
    HO-lee crap there have been a whole lot more types of Cap'n Crunch made over the years than I ever guessed existed.

Quote Originally posted by wikipedia
    Cap'n Crunch: The original Cap'n Crunch cereal is made of sweetened, yellow, square-shaped cereal pieces made by combining corn and oats. The cereal was launched in 1963, bolstered by a successful advertising campaign created by noted animator Jay Ward introducing the cereal's longtime naval mascot, Cap'n Crunch.[20]
    Cap'n Crunch's Crunch Berries: Cap’n Crunch's Crunch Berries cereal was introduced in 1967 and contained, in addition to the yellow pieces found in the original Cap'n Crunch, spherical red Crunch Berry pieces. There was a version of Crunch Berries available briefly in which the berries, instead of being spherical, were three small berries in a cluster. The Crunch Berry Beast mascot was introduced alongside the cereal. There are currently four Crunch Berry colors: red, green (introduced in 2002), blue, and violet (both introduced in the '90s). All the berry pieces are flavored the same, regardless of color.
    Peanut Butter Crunch: First released in 1969, with a large elephant named Smedley as its mascot; according to sales charts, this version was the most successful at the time. It consists of peanut butter-flavored corn puffs.
    Punch Crunch, Vanilly Crunch, Jean LaFoote’s Cinnamon Crunch: Three more editions issued in the early 1970s but later discontinued. Punch Crunch was fruit-flavored cereal rings, and the mascot was sailor-clad hippopotamus named Harry.[21] Jean LaFoote's Cinnamon Crunch featured cinnamon flavored corn flakes.
    Choco Crunch: In 1982, a variant called Choco Crunch, featuring the mascot "Chockle the Blob", was introduced. This version contained the yellow corn squares, plus chocolate flavored pieces similar to Crunch Berries.
    Chocolatey Crunch: Introduced in 2011, consisting of chocolate flavored corn squares.
    Christmas Crunch: A special edition first released for the 1988 Christmas holiday season. It contains the signature Cap’n Crunch yellow corn squares with red and green Crunch Berries, shaped like evergreen trees, in a green box with the Cap’n wearing a Santa Claus hat. Originally, it contained a toy or Christmas tree ornament inside the box.[22]
    Deep Sea Crunch: A version of the cereal introduced in 1993, which featured Crunch Berries shaped like sea creatures. This version was discontinued but returned in 2009.[23]
    Oops! All Berries: First released in 1997, "Oops! All Berries" contained nothing but the berry flavored Crunch Berries and none of the corn squares.[23] This version was discontinued the following year. In 2008, 2009, and again in 2010, "Oops! All Berries" has made limited time only returns.[24] Recent boxes do not state "Limited Time Only" printed on the box. Current "Oops! All Berries" colors are red, purple, blue and green.
    Halloween Crunch: A limited edition version of the cereal introduced in 2007. This includes green Crunch Berries in the form of ghosts.[23]
    Galactic Crunch: A discontinued version which featured space-related marshmallows.[23]
    Choco Doughnuts: A discontinued version which featured chocolate flavored doughnut shaped cereal with candy sprinkles.[23]
    Home Run Crunch: A limited edition version of the cereal, currently available, released in 1995 which featured baseball-related marshmallows, like home plates, caps, and mitts. It has the flavor of Crunch Berries but the pieces of the cereal are shaped as bats and balls. It occasionally comes back during the summer.[23]
    Cap'n Crunch's Mystery Volcano Crunch: Red and yellow fruit flavored berries with "'free' packet of lava rocks that pop in milk!".[23]
    Cap'n Crunch's Oops! Smashed Berries: Oops! All Berries cereal with flat berries that the kids smashed.[23]
    Cap'n Crunch's CoZmic Crunch: Star shaped berries with "orange space dust that turns milk green".[23]
    Polar Crunch: A version of the cereal in which the Crunch Berries change color to blue when milk is poured.[23]
    Cinnamon Roll Crunch: Released in 2013.
    Cap'n Crunch's Crunch Treasures: Star shaped crunchy yellow corn and oat rings. Contains half the sugar of regular Cap'n Crunch.[25]
    Cap'n Crunch Bars: Later called Cap'n Crunch Treats, they were marshmallow treats similar to Rice Krispies Treats and came in Cap'n Crunch, Crunch Berries, and Peanut Butter Crunch varieties.
    Airhead Berries: A crossover between Airheads candy and Cap'n Crunch cereal.[26]
    Cap'n Crunch's Sprinkled Donut Crunch: Released in 2014. Donut-flavored cereal rings smothered in sprinkles.
    Cap'n Crunch's Orange Creampop Crunch: Modeled after nostalgic orange/vanilla popsicles.[27]
    Cap'n Crunch's Blueberry Pancake Crunch: Released in 2016. Features blue, light blue and white corn and oat puffs with natural and artificial blueberry and maple syrup flavoring
    Wow, talk about a successful franchise. Quaker has kept this rolling for decades. I'd estimate 95% of the Cap'n Crunch I've consumed was eaten as a child from maybe 1970 - 1978. Junior isn't particularly fond of CC but the few times he's tried a box I've managed to steal a handful or two to eat dry.
    Many of the varieties listed above I've never even heard of before. The ones I have actually eaten include: regular, Crunch Berries, Peanut butter, Vanilly Crunch (had once), and Jean Lafoote's Cinnamon Crunch (my favorite). I also tried a handful of Christmas Crunch once at a party a few years ago. That's probably more varieties than most people have tried.

The claim that the cereal stays crunchy even in milk is dubious as I distinctly recall a few instances where a soggy outer layer surrounded a crunchy interior (best not to try too hard in imagining this). The best part about Cap'n Crunch, however, had little to do with the taste or texture, but rather, the fact that they usually had the best toys inside the box. We're not talking about some cheesy temporary tattoos like you get in a box of Cracker Jacks, but actual TOYS. Memorable toys included a (plastic) Hot Wheels(esque) car, a balloon-propelled boat, a telescope, and a (baking soda-fueled) submarine. The telescope was especially memorable as I managed to get my finger stuck in it and could not get it off for an eternity (ie. 5 minutes) and I tearfully showed my dilemma to my dad. Dad was very helpful and told me (completely straight-faced) I would just have to go around the rest of my life with a Cap'n Crunch telescope attached to my finger. Yes, it would look strange going to college, or working as a police officer with a telescope on my hand, but people would soon grow quite used to it and over time I would probably hardly even notice.

Who else here had breakfast with the Cap'n?

What were (or are) your favorite kid's cereal?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I love Cap'n Crunch and still buy it frequently, even though I'm the only one in my house who enjoys it. My wife doesn't like sugary cereal and my daughter complains about the texture hurting the roof of her mouth. I just tell her that means she hasn't eaten enough Cap'n Crunch!

I've tried a few of the different varieties and my favorite is the Oops! All Crunchberries, because let's face it - the Crunchberries are the best part of the cereal. FWIW, when I think of Cap'n Crunch I instinctively think of the variety with the Crunchberries. One day a couple of years ago my wife was going to the store and asked if I had any requests so I asked for a box of Cap'n Crunch and she came home with the kind with no Crunchberries... I didn't even know that was still available!

We have a box of the Christmas version in the cupboard right now but I don't recall them coming with an ornament in there since I've been buying the Christmas version the past few years. If they did still, I'd definitely put a bunch of Cap'n Crunch ornaments on our tree! I was really excited the first time I saw the Peanut Butter Crunch when I was probably around 12 or so since I love peanut butter but that one was pretty awful. Every once in a while I'll still get the Chocolatey Crunch only to eat a bowl or two and be reminded that I don't like that version either. I remember getting the Donut Sprinkle kind a couple of years ago when that was introduced and don't recall it really tasting any different than the regular version.

I've never heard of a lot of those varieties listed. I wonder if some of them were just released in partnership with specific store chains, regions, or as a tie-in to something else happening in pop culture at the time.

My absolute favorite cereal now and when I was a kid is Count Chocula. General Mills Rocky Road cereal was really good too but they stopped making that in the late '80s.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I love the Cap'n and the stupid elephant on the Peanut Butter Crunch.
    Also had:
    Crunch
    Crunch berries
    Christmas crunch
    Oops all berries
    and a Cap'n Crunch bar

Fruity Pebbles was always a winner when I was younger. Some with Cookie Crisp. Let's face it, cookies for breakfast! One of the best ever is Count Chocula. It's chocolate Lucky Charms!
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    My wife doesn't like sugary cereal and my daughter complains about the texture hurting the roof of her mouth. I just tell her that means she hasn't eaten enough Cap'n Crunch!

But isn't that the best part of Cap'n Crunch? The sugary sweetness taste and the roof of your mouth is shreaded...

My brothers and I ate our fair share when we were growing up, but didn't venture too far into the other varieties.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    One thing I'll add: If you take a bunch of the yellow things from Cap'n Crunch and crush them up they actually make a good breading for chicken if you want something different. You can do the breading with half Corn Flakes and half Cap'n Crunch if you don't want all that sweetness but still want to try it.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Other cereals -

Apple Jacks
    Life
    Frosted Flakes - Tony the Tiger
    Corn Flakes

Same thing ?
    Kellogg's - Honey Smacks
    Post -Super Golden Crisp

Raisin Bran

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Concerning the Count Chocula, Boo Berry, Frankenberry, Fuit Brute series, I guess I liked Frankenberry the best. I did not, however, care for the way it turned milk pink. But in terms of that sin, Pink Panther Flakes (essentially corn flakes with pink food dye) were far and away the biggest offender.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Y'all're making me feel old. Cap'n Crunch came out well after my childhood cereal days. Growing up my favorite sugary cereal was Sugar Crisp ("Can't get enough of that Sugar Crisp, Sugar Crisp, Sugar Crisp. Can't get enough of that Sugar Crisp, keeps me goin' strong!"). I also liked Wheaties, Cheerios, and Nabisco Shredded Wheat. Oh, and Raisin Bran. Corn Flakes and Sugar Frosted Flakes did nothing for me, but my sister liked them.

I also liked brown sugar-cinnamon pop-tarts, before they started putting frosting on them.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Y'all're making me feel old. Cap'n Crunch came out well after my childhood cereal days. Growing up my favorite sugary cereal was Sugar Crisp ("Can't get enough of that Sugar Crisp, Sugar Crisp, Sugar Crisp. Can't get enough of that Sugar Crisp, keeps me goin' strong!"). I also liked Wheaties, Cheerios, and Nabisco Shredded Wheat. Oh, and Raisin Bran. Corn Flakes and Sugar Frosted Flakes did nothing for me, but my sister liked them.

I also liked brown sugar-cinnamon pop-tarts, before they started putting frosting on them.
    My dad is in his 80s and Sugar Crisps (now Golden Crisps) are his favorite cereal. He says when he was little that was the first and only pre-sweetened cereal he remembers that his mom could buy at the store. He too will still sing that jingle. I actually really like Golden Crisps too but the only problem is that when you open the box, you have to eat it all within just a few days, especially if it's summer when it's humid, otherwise the cereal all starts to stick together and then harden into one big blob.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Peanut Butter Crunch is my favorite of the Crunch cereals. I’ve eaten Plain, Crunch Berries, the one that’s only Berries, and Christmas Crunch.

Raisin Bran is my favorite cereal, followed by Corn Pops and Cocoa Krispies.

I have a box of Cocoa Pebbles, and they aren’t as sweet and chocolaty as I remember.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Crunch Berries is the best version.

My favorite (right now) sugar cereal is Chocolate Chex.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Childhood breakfast cereal
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 18 Nov 2016, 8:51 AM
  2. The Kids and College Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 17 Oct 2016, 4:24 PM
  3. Replies: 51