Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Craft sales

Registered
    Feb 2004

Craft sales

Does every community have a big craft sale around this time of year or is it just a local thing? Craft sales are usually a mixed bag; there are a few good booths here and there but probably 80% of the items present are overpriced dreck. I'm talking about personalized beer koozies with various colleges (no doubt completely licensed with the schools in question ) on them.

Any good/useful craft sale items you've encountered?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Our area is flooded with them this time of year. We used to have one or two decent ARTS & craft fairs but that has transitioned mostly to a craft fair. And apparently we live in the country, if you count the number of camo pillows and Americana kitsch.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Our area is flooded with them this time of year. We used to have one or two decent ARTS & craft fairs but that has transitioned mostly to a craft fair. And apparently we live in the country, if you count the number of camo pillows and Americana kitsch.
    We're fortunate to live not far from Ann Arbor and in theory could visit their famous art fair every year. Reality works out a bit differently, though, as there always seems to something getting in the way of that happening. That said, ARTS & craft fairs are much more enticing propositions. Craft fairs, sadly, seem to consist of equal parts camo fleece scarfs/hats, (regional) college cornhole toss bags, beer koozies, and crappy Christmas decorations either cut out or pasted together by some couple with dubious carpentry/crafting skills. Sad.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    There was one in my community this weekend, but I didn't go to it.

Last year, I bought potholder-type things that are contoured and fit around soup bowls. People loved them, and I made about a dozen of them myself.

There is another level of show/market called "maker spaces" or "maker markets". I haven't been to one, but I'm sure the crafts they sell are a notch above those dolls who store rolls of toilet paper under their crocheted skirts.

Do any of you make gifts? I'm making homemade hot chocolate mix and neck gaiters.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'll usually make a couple wood ornaments. It actually depends on how stressed out I am during the year. Playing in the garage reduces my stress. Good or bad, I haven't done to many this year.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

We had one in the downtown area last Saturday.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We have a huge one every year, lasts from the day after Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve. Varying quality, but huge variety of stuff. Paintings, jewelry, clothing, random stuff that I don't recognize, and several crafters that use materials in ways I'd never think of. Always find some interesting things, this year not as much but did get all my stocking stuffers for the holiday.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    A few years ago I made some salt dough ornaments for friends and family. I kept some for us too. As we were decorating the X-mas three this year I pulled them out and remarked, "I bet I could sell these for $.50 at a craft fair." My ever-supportive husband said, "$.50? Really? MAYYYYYBE a quarter. " Thanks, dear.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 28 Feb 2017, 9:55 PM
  2. Car sales vs. classic car sales
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Oct 2015, 10:58 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 5:18 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Dec 2005, 11:54 PM